Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Amex Business card for personal use

tag
syeb
Regular Contributor

Using Amex Business card for personal use

I have read some very informative threads here regarding using personal cards for business use. But information about the other way around is not so easy to find.

I have a new Business Gold charge card I opened in April for a little side Ebay business, more like a hobby of mine (sole proprietorship). I will not make the bonus spend of $5,000  with the business expenses alone. However, I can pay my daughter's college tuition on the card that will get me to where I need to be. 

Does Amex have any issues with using the business card for personal expenses? I have been with Amex since 1992 and run about $5,000 per month on my personal cards with them.

I could not find any mention of personal charges in the T&C for the business card.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: Using Amex Business card for personal use

Personal ethics, co-mingling of funds & piercing corp veils aside I don’t think it’s much cause for concern. Is this a 75/5 BGR?  I think you will hear arguments on both sides but if this is mostly a one-time deal to grab a bonus I would go for it.  Hum I did go for it lol

Message 2 of 15
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

You should be fine paying her tuition.. I am paid a months rent with my SPG business card to help meet the 8k spend on it.. Also have paid rent with my few year old simply cash a few times and no issues either.  Unless you do paypal to your last name or  something that makes them raise an eyebrow you will be just fine.

with that said amex wants their business cards to be used for business and personal to be used for personal.. All that said once again you will be fine, but that is their offical stance.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could just buy business Amex gift cards,  Believe me, they dont frown upon that.

Message 4 of 15
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

to totally cover your bacon, Hire her,   call it tution reimbursement, a bonus, what ever.  But do contact your tax advisor for any tax ramifications of this, Its your company you can do anything you like for your employees.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use my Blue for Business for personal dining a lot due to 10x MR per dollar bonus. Used the SPG business for personal stays too.

Unless you're doing something outrightly shady in the first place they don't seem to care.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dining and hotels looks business-y. How far from 5000 is OP?
Message 7 of 15
syeb
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Dining and hotels looks business-y. How far from 5000 is OP?

I was $4993 away from $5,000 at the time. Smiley Surprised

I got offered the 75k / $5k bonus in an email from Amex. My little eBay side hobby doesn't really qualify as a business though. But for 75k points and no AF the first year it was certainly worth it. 

Message 8 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

You will see advice not to use business cards for personal use, but this comes from consumer agencies rather than issuers.  The concern is that the whole raft of protections on consumer cards are largely absent on business cards.

So you might be out of luck if your daughter's tuition is stolen, breaks after 2 weeks, doesn't arrive or doesn't meet the quality expected!  But I assume all but the last aren't real concerns...    

Message 9 of 15
syeb
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

You will see advice not to use business cards for personal use, but this comes from consumer agencies rather than issuers.  The concern is that the whole raft of protections on consumer cards are largely absent on business cards.

So you might be out of luck if your daughter's tuition is stolen, breaks after 2 weeks, doesn't arrive or doesn't meet the quality expected!  But I assume all but the last aren't real concerns...    

Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.