Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Amex card on Ebay via PayPal.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Amex card on Ebay via PayPal.

I was wondering how Amex is about being on a PayPal account.  Has anyone had problems?

I know that amex can put a $99 temporary verification fee on a tank of gas....how are they about Ebay/PayPal?  What I mean is, when you bid for an item does Amex see this (if they are linked as your PayPal payment source) and put some weird temporary fee on there?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Using Amex card on Ebay via PayPal.

I pay all my ebay purchases with amex because they have the best charge back service ever!

you have any issues and more than half the time amex just credits your account with no questions asked and they go after the person on there own. 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I heard they were good for Ebay/Pay Pal.

What I want to know more specifically is, they reduced my $2000 limit to $500...I want to buy something that's $300....I have a zero balance......if I bid for $310 as my high bid will they see this and start getting nervous?  There are still 3 days left for this item's auction.  I just don't want them to see I bid that much and then cancel my card or FR me before the auction is over.   

Message 3 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Amex is not going to see your bidding, they are just going to see the charge when you pay if you choose to use that amex card. can't get lower then $500, next they just close the account... so I wouldn't really worry about them doing anything at this point!
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What I want to know more specifically is, they reduced my $2000 limit to $500...I want to buy something that's $300....I have a zero balance......if I bid for $310 as my high bid will they see this and start getting nervous?  There are still 3 days left for this item's auction.  I just don't want them to see I bid that much and then cancel my card or FR me before the auction is over.   

You might want to check with eBay, but as far as I know, eBay and Paypal aren't *linked* quite this much.  When you bid on an item, you are agreeing to pay for it, but generally you have other options for HOW you'll pay for it (money order, check, etc) so I would not think that Paypal "monitors" your bidding, let alone informs your linked credit cards / bank accounts about your bidding. 

I would think that Paypal doesn't actually get involved in your eBay activity at all until you actually pay for an item you've won and indicate Paypal as the payment method...

Message 5 of 6
nicemann
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You might want to check with eBay, but as far as I know, eBay and Paypal aren't *linked* quite this much.  When you bid on an item, you are agreeing to pay for it, but generally you have other options for HOW you'll pay for it (money order, check, etc) so I would not think that Paypal "monitors" your bidding, let alone informs your linked credit cards / bank accounts about your bidding. 

I would think that Paypal doesn't actually get involved in your eBay activity at all until you actually pay for an item you've won and indicate Paypal as the payment method...

You are correct on that.  There is no way your linked credit cards or bank accounts will be notified if you are only bidding.  They aren't told anything till you go to pay for it and you selected that card as you payment.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.