Valued Member
Joecooltech

Using Amex only advice

So in February me and my wife got the amex zync card and have been using it like crazy for everything. Get the MR points with on debt I love it and it does not go against your util. my question is if i dont use my visa or mastercards at all will they close them? Has anyone had that happen?

Mega Contributor
LS2982

Re: Using Amex only advice

Joecooltech wrote:

So in February me and my wife got the amex zync card and have been using it like crazy for everything. Get the MR points with on debt I love it and it does not go against your util. my question is if i dont use my visa or mastercards at all will they close them? Has anyone had that happen?

I really thinking about doing this myself. My overall util. is growing by the week and its frustrating me. I don't thin kthey will close as long as you run a little something through them at least once every other month.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Valued Contributor
Repo-ed

I opened the Barclays Apple Visa, just so I would have a card, in the event my Amex would not be accepted.  This has happened twice unexpectedly, so thankfully I had the Visa branded card (I stopped using debit card(s) a few months ago) to carry the load those two times.

Frequent Contributor
Woolfman

what i have done on the few cards i care to make sure they stay open is to add the small reoccurring charges i have in my life to the cards and have them set up as autopay.

Starting Score: 680
Current Score: 761 From 12/11/2013
Goal Score: 800

Senior Contributor
Open123

The best thing to do is to run some small recurring bills through the cards you aren't going to use.  For instance, on a mobile phone bill, I'll split the payment between a few cards just to ensure there's monthly activity.

Leaving a card dormant too long can lead to account closure.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+