Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Amex only advice

tag
Joecooltech
Regular Contributor

Using Amex only advice

So in February me and my wife got the amex zync card and have been using it like crazy for everything. Get the MR points with on debt I love it and it does not go against your util. my question is if i dont use my visa or mastercards at all will they close them? Has anyone had that happen?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Using Amex only advice

@Joecooltech wrote:

So in February me and my wife got the amex zync card and have been using it like crazy for everything. Get the MR points with on debt I love it and it does not go against your util. my question is if i dont use my visa or mastercards at all will they close them? Has anyone had that happen?

I really thinking about doing this myself. My overall util. is growing by the week and its frustrating me. I don't thin kthey will close as long as you run a little something through them at least once every other month.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 5
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I opened the Barclays Apple Visa, just so I would have a card, in the event my Amex would not be accepted.  This has happened twice unexpectedly, so thankfully I had the Visa branded card (I stopped using debit card(s) a few months ago) to carry the load those two times.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 5
Woolfman
Established Contributor

what i have done on the few cards i care to make sure they stay open is to add the small reoccurring charges i have in my life to the cards and have them set up as autopay.
Message 4 of 5
Open123
Super Contributor

The best thing to do is to run some small recurring bills through the cards you aren't going to use.  For instance, on a mobile phone bill, I'll split the payment between a few cards just to ensure there's monthly activity.

Leaving a card dormant too long can lead to account closure.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.