Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Amex reward points for Singapore Airlines flight

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Amex reward points for Singapore Airlines flight

I have 55k Amex points and read many times that one of the most valuable ways to redeem the points is to transfer them to Krisflyer for a Singapore Airlines flight. I take the flight from JFK to FRA sometimes and thought that would be a good way to use the points. The flight only costs 57375 miles in first class which is amazing, however, I am traveling with my wife so I need almost 115k miles.

Is there any easy way to get an additional 60k miles for the flight for 2 people? I read that you can also transfer chase ur points to krisflyer, however, there is no option in my chase account to do that (I have a Freedom and Sapphire (not preferred)). Also, can I transfer points from my wife's credit cards or do the credit cards have to be in the same name as my krisflyer account to do the transfer?

To make everything a little harder, I am planning to book the flight for the end of November so I don't have too much time left. I realize that I may have to postpone the points redemption for another flight in the future.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Using Amex reward points for Singapore Airlines flight

You need the preferred to transfer UR points.
I don't deal with MR points so can't comment on the rest of your questions
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you transfer all your points if you have the preferred or only the CSP points?

Message 3 of 16
dragontears
Senior Contributor

You can transfer points from other UR cards (freedom etc) to a CSP then transfer to the airline partner. So with the extra step (which is just a few mouse clicks) you can transfer all points (in the increments the transfer partner uses i.e. 1000 points)
Message 4 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@dragontears wrote:
You can transfer points from other UR cards (freedom etc) to a CSP then transfer to the airline partner. So with the extra step (which is just a few mouse clicks) you can transfer all points (in the increments the transfer partner uses i.e. 1000 points)

Right, so you or your wife could (unless hit by the 5/24 rule) apply for the CSP, and after meeting $4K spend (quickly) you could have many of the needed points, especially as it sounds like you already have some from the Freedom.

Failing that, both of you apply for the high bonus Amex cardsthat you haven't already, the Plat and PRG for example.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@dragontears wrote:

Right, so you or your wife could (unless hit by the 5/24 rule) apply for the CSP, and after meeting $4K spend (quickly) you could have many of the needed points, especially as it sounds like you already have some from the Freedom.

Failing that, both of you apply for the high bonus Amex cardsthat you haven't already, the Plat and PRG for example.

So I'm assuming I can transfer points from both my own and my wife's credit cards to my krisflyer account. I currently have the PRG. Is there a chance of getting any points for upgrading to Platinum and downgrading again a few months later?

How does it really effect my credit score if I open a CSP and close it again before the first year is over? Also, will Chase flag me or something for churning?

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I'm assuming I can transfer points from both my own and my wife's credit cards to my krisflyer account. I currently have the PRG. Is there a chance of getting any points for upgrading to Platinum and downgrading again a few months later?

How does it really effect my credit score if I open a CSP and close it again before the first year is over? Also, will Chase flag me or something for churning?

You would have to log into your account to see if there are any offers to upgrade and if the upgrade includes bonus points. Or you can submit a new application for the Platinum.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should probably take a look at availability first. If there are no seats and it's waitlist only, you don't even have to go through all of this
Message 8 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, can I transfer points from my wife's credit cards or do the credit cards have to be in the same name as my krisflyer account to do the transfer?

Read the terms for the rewards program(s).

From the Ultimate Rewards portal:

Points can only be transferred to yourself, or one additional household member who is listed as an authorized user on your card account.

From the Membership Rewards portal:

The frequent customer program account that you transfer points into must be held by you or an Additional Card Member linked to your program account. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there any easy way to get an additional 60k miles for the flight for 2 people?

A sign on bonus would be the easiest though many have spend requirements over a given timeframe and the bonus may not post until the following statement closes after you meet the requirement.  There are sites that track the sign on bonuses and existing threads here may discuss some of the offers out there.

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have the PRG. Is there a chance of getting any points for upgrading to Platinum and downgrading again a few months later?

We have no idea. We can't see the future and we're not AmEx so we don't know what offer they might or might not give you.

@Anonymous wrote:

It's never just a matter of the change itself. It depends on your credit profile and how the changes factor in. The usual stuff applies. A new account will drop your AAoA, you incur the small hit from the hard pull and there's an impact from having new accounts of your reports. Chase isn't going to flag you for churning for opening and closing an account. Churning is determined based on a pattern of activity. Chase already has bonus eligibility limitations and the 5/24 policy in place to address this. Do you have no plans to earn and transfer points in future?

If you have an established profile in good standing you won't see as much of an impact as one who has a thin profile and/or issues. Are you intending to apply for any new credit anyway?

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You should probably take a look at availability first. If there are no seats and it's waitlist only, you don't even have to go through all of this

They only do have waitlist available. Are the chances of getting seats through the waitlist bad?

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.