Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Banks Bill Pay System

tag
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

Using Banks Bill Pay System

There's something I've been thinking about a lot lately and wanted to get everyone's view on the subject.

If you're using your banks bill pay system to pay your credit card bills and let's say you have a credit card with that bank too.

Do you think they will see what you're paying your other creditors in comparison to what you're paying them? Meaning if you're paying one creditor several hundred dollars every couple of weeks, but only paying your banks credit card $100 a month, do you think they will get jealous of the business you're giving the other creditors and result in AA?

To sum it up, do you think they monitor your bill pay amounts goin out?

Thanks for any insight...

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Re: Using Banks Bill Pay System

Well I guess in all actuality they could see if they really wanted to. But would they? Hmmmm....I think that is suspect for sure. Have I worried about that? Nope! As long as I'm paying them like I should I don't care what they see Smiley Happy.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 2 of 8
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

i wouldn't worry about it. if they do take AA because you pay another card more then they will loose my business plus i am going to go out on a limb here and say it could be a major privacy issue as they are using data against you that is not court ordered. i could be completely wrong too 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 3 of 8
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

@afbar1114 wrote:

i wouldn't worry about it. if they do take AA because you pay another card more then they will loose my business plus i am going to go out on a limb here and say it could be a major privacy issue as they are using data against you that is not court ordered. i could be completely wrong too 

You know, that's actually an interesting statement. I bet there is some sort of privacy violation that would cover such things. Although they wouldn't admit to doing it I'm sure. But that probably sums up the fact that they wouldn't do it.  Humm...

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 4 of 8
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

Why does using Billpay matter? I pay everything from the CC website and my statements will still show AMEX, Chase, etc.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 5 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@BrokaToe wrote:

There's something I've been thinking about a lot lately and wanted to get everyone's view on the subject.

If you're using your banks bill pay system to pay your credit card bills and let's say you have a credit card with that bank too.

Do you think they will see what you're paying your other creditors in comparison to what you're paying them? Meaning if you're paying one creditor several hundred dollars every couple of weeks, but only paying your banks credit card $100 a month, do you think they will get jealous of the business you're giving the other creditors and result in AA?

To sum it up, do you think they monitor your bill pay amounts goin out?

Thanks for any insight...

Financial institutions do not get "jealous".  That's a human emotion not recognized by a system platform.  Business decisions to integrate a bill paying service into a uniform service platform is simply a convenience for the consumer.  Truth of the matter is, no one is sitting there monitoring which creditor receives what as far as payment presentment goes.

Yes, activities/transactions are monitored (especially for suspect or unusual patterns).  However, AA would only result based on any T&C violation of your bank's bill pay service.  Financial institutions are far less concerned whether you paid AMEX $1,200 vs Chase $100.

Message 6 of 8
TM82
Regular Contributor

No, they're more concerned about whether they get paid or not. If anything instead of AA it might get you a larger sign up bonus based on the fact that they want to entice you to use their card instead.
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 7 of 8
bribro
Valued Contributor

The banks do not care. Their algorithms generally go off of public credit reports.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.