Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using CC to buy gift cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using CC to buy gift cards

How many of you guys do this, and do not prefer doing this?

I myself do not like doing this because it adds an additional card I have to keep track of. I also have to write down the balances after each transaction.

For those who do this, how do you manage all the gift cards? 

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

Re: Using CC to buy gift cards

Not trying to hijack. But I'm always wondering if buying GCs at grocery stores counts rewards point on grocery?

For eg, use my Sallie Mae to buy a Walmart GC at local Tom Thumbs. I've seen quite different answers to this.

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@vwgrrc wrote:

Not trying to hijack. But I'm always wondering if buying GC counts rewards point on grocery?

For eg, use my Sallie Mae to buy a Walmart GC at local Tom Thumbs. I've seen quite different answers to this.

Yes it is since they don't have "level 3 reporting"

Message 3 of 24
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

This is kinda taboo if you get caught. Mainly because if you do it a lot it will earn the points but can get your card shut down. Google: Manufactured Spending

If your buying a GC once in a while its not going to cause too much harm if any. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 4 of 24
leoment
Frequent Contributor

Every now and again I'll pick up a gas card or two when I go grocery shopping, but I don't do it all the time - mainly when my other rotating cards don't have gas as a 5% category.
800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 5 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Basically if you don't make a habit out of it you'll be fine. Doing it when it is legitimately gift cards for actual gifts is fine, IMO. It's when people are buying 2k a month in "gifts" that flags get raised

Message 6 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Basically if you don't make a habit out of it you'll be fine. Doing it when it is legitimately gift cards for actual gifts is fine, IMO. It's when people are buying 2k a month in "gifts" that flags get raised

Well, it's the quantity that might matter, not (directly) if they are "actual gifts" as the issuer has no knowledge of your intent.

IME, theshold is much much higher than $2k per month, but whatever.

Message 7 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@kdm31091 wrote:

+1

I buy gift cards for myself at Kroger all the time... I'm not talking about the MC/V type cards, I'm talking about Amazon, Burger King, Krystal, Target, Hulu, Netflix, Papa John's, Subway, eBay, etc.  I prefer buying the gift cards over using cash as I earn Fuel Points at Kroger when I purchase gift cards (every 6 weeks or so they offer 4x points on gift cards).  I also get 6% cash back using my BCP.

To be clear, this is not manufactured spending, since I'm using the gift cards for merchandise or services, not to just churn reward dollars out of my credit cards.  Also, the folks who have problems are the ones who purchase literally thousands of dollars a month in "groceries" when their annual income clearly doesn't support it.  If you keep it legit, you won't have any problems.

Also, for the record, I use my BCP at the grocery store and I have no problem earning my cash back.  Like Monoglot has mentioned, the card issuer can't tell if your buying gift cards or filet mignon at grocery stores, all they can see is the total dollar amount and the date of the sale.

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's the point/reason for buying GCs for other stores? do you get more points when buying a $25 GC for say Macy's than actually spending $25 at Macys?  Just curious.

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@c00mtg well if it's a rotating category like they freedom was during Q1 then it's 5% cashback on giftcards at the grocery store. Or 6% on your Amex card.

I mix the giftcards in with the groceries.
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.