Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Chase Freedom Internationally

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Chase Freedom Internationally

Heading over to London at the end of next month. Restaurant spending will likely be the bulk of our spend, and luckily, that's one of the 5% categories for Chase next quarter.... Since Freedom has a forex fee (3%) using it on resto purchases would still net roughly 2% cash back, right?

My only card without a foreign transaction fee right now is Cap1 Quicksilver with a measly limit (well below what we'd spend on 2-3 meals during our trip), so I was primarily going to use it for smaller purchases like coffee and other incidentals. Other option is an AMEX EveryDay or a Citi AA Platinum Select, but still have the foreign transaction fee there. 

Can't wait to app for CSP later this year!

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Using Chase Freedom Internationally

Here is a wild question for you. Do the merchant codes work overseas?
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I've been unable to fully deduce... I would *think* so and it seems that way. Read the Chase T&C's and can't find anything to contrary.

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does your Freedom have a chip?  I believe all of Western Europe is on the Chip and Pin/Signature system.

Message 4 of 24
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's what I've been unable to fully deduce... I would *think* so and it seems that way. Read the Chase T&C's and can't find anything to contrary.

I was curious last year and did a test run with Discover and Freedom at the same gas station in Europe. While Discover perfectly worked for the 5% the charges on Freedom even showing gas station in the merchant code gave me 1% and subject to FTF. I have not tested any other category but thought of trying the grocery and see how that would do.  I have tested Amex and can confirm that for sure does not work. It is US supermarkets only.  If you have a card with no FTF I would recommend to use that one. I think any Cap1 card would do better without the rewards if you can forget the FTF.

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't, but I've never had an issue using non-chip cards at places like restaurants or actually merchants. Only times i've needed to use a chip card at vending-type machines: train stations, etc. 

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lg8302ch wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was curious last year and did a test run with Discover and Freedom at the same gas station in Europe. While Discover perfectly worked for the 5% the charges on Freedom even showing gas station in the merchant code gave me 1% and subject to FTF. I have not tested any other category but thought of trying the grocery and see how that would do.  I have tested Amex and can confirm that for sure does not work. It is US supermarkets only.  If you have a card with no FTF I would recommend to use that one. I think any Cap1 card would do better without the rewards if you can forget the FTF.

Thanks. Only problem with that is that the Cap1 is new and has a relatively crummy credit limit compared to the amount of spending we'll likely do, so I'm going to end up paying some FTFs somewhere along the line.

Message 7 of 24
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Does your Freedom have a chip?  I believe all of Western Europe is on the Chip and Pin/Signature system.

This is correct but you can process all standard cards with the swipe / signature option. You just need to know where to enter the card when you want to swipe.

Message 8 of 24
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Which cards do you have? 

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lg8302ch wrote:

Which cards do you have? 

Chase Freedom, Amex EveryDay, Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select, Cap1 QS, Barclays Apple Rewards... Oh, and J.Crew and Amazon store cards! Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.