Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Credit Card to Payoff Summer College Classes

tag
FsnowX
New Visitor

Using Credit Card to Payoff Summer College Classes

Hey ladies/gentleman!

I am a new member to this site and find this site to have a ton of useful information. I just graduated college with a Bachelors degree in Construction Management. I work for a General Contractor as a Project Engineer and make good salary. I currently am paying off my college credit card with Wells Fargo CL of $600. I just opened up a Chase Sapphire card and got approved for a 5k CL. I need some advice as I am trying to build up my credit so when it is time for me to purchase a house I can get a good mortgage with a decent rate. I currently have 2k in summer class charges that I would prefer to not add to my existing self loans. I will be able to pay off these class costs this summer before August is over. Would it be a good idea to charge these costs to the Chase Sapphire and payoff 1.5k by the end of July and the other .5k by the end of August as a way for me to rack up some rewards points and meet the rewards of using 500 of credit within the 3 months of opening the card?

On another note, I have been reading around and looking at the CSP Card that is offered and with the amount of rewards and the $0 first year Annual Fee being waved this may be a good route to go. I dont know if I will be eligible for this card as of yet but would like to build some credit history with Chase to acquire this card. Would it be beneficial to keep the Chase Sapphire card when I get the chance to open the Preferred?

Thanks Everyone!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

Re: Using Credit Card to Payoff Summer College Classes

@FsnowX wrote:

Hey ladies/gentleman!

I am a new member to this site and find this site to have a ton of useful information. I just graduated college with a Bachelors degree in Construction Management. I work for a General Contractor as a Project Engineer and make good salary. I currently am paying off my college credit card with Wells Fargo CL of $600. I just opened up a Chase Sapphire card and got approved for a 5k CL. I need some advice as I am trying to build up my credit so when it is time for me to purchase a house I can get a good mortgage with a decent rate. I currently have 2k in summer class charges that I would prefer to not add to my existing self loans. I will be able to pay off these class costs this summer before August is over. Would it be a good idea to charge these costs to the Chase Sapphire and payoff 1.5k by the end of July and the other .5k by the end of August as a way for me to rack up some rewards points and meet the rewards of using 500 of credit within the 3 months of opening the card?

On another note, I have been reading around and looking at the CSP Card that is offered and with the amount of rewards and the $0 first year Annual Fee being waved this may be a good route to go. I dont know if I will be eligible for this card as of yet but would like to build some credit history with Chase to acquire this card. Would it be beneficial to keep the Chase Sapphire card when I get the chance to open the Preferred?

Thanks Everyone!

I don't see why you couldn't use your CS card to finance your classes, as long as you stick to a payment plan to make sure it gets paid off in a timely manner so you don't have to pay too much interest. Chase has an awesome tool called Blueprint, that helps you determine how much to pay to get something paid off in a timely manner.

As for the CSP, you can product change after a year & still have the AF waived the first year, but not be eligible for the sign up bonus. Or you can just apply for the CSP outright.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 2 of 3
Brax
Frequent Contributor

Re: Using Credit Card to Payoff Summer College Classes

That sounds like a good strategy to show some heavy usage on the Chase Sapphire while you can. Also, this should help demonstrate a need for a CLI on that card later down the road. Perhaps around then you could PC (product change) the Sapphire to a Sapphire Prefered instead of having both.

I would see what can be done with the WF card before considering the CSP. Ask WF if you can PC the college card to a regular WF platinum card. Then wait and see what auto CLI comes your way from them. If nothing, a manual review would help as they will see the Chase card has a much higher limit and hopefully match that. Good luck!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.