cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Credit Cards Listed with Paypal to Pay for Online Orders and just wondering...

tag
IncrsCredScore
Frequent Contributor

Using Credit Cards Listed with Paypal to Pay for Online Orders and just wondering...

if this works for increasing my credit score. My goal is to increae my FICO credit score and iif paying through Paypalo doesn't help to better my score, I will stop paying through Paypal

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
kittywitty
Contributor

Re: Using Credit Cards Listed with Paypal to Pay for Online Orders and just wondering...

do you mean the paypal card thats linked to your paypal account. if so that won't help at all. if it did i would have a great score but no i have a lousy score. lol

Message 2 of 11
kittywitty
Contributor

Re: Using Credit Cards Listed with Paypal to Pay for Online Orders and just wondering...

oh do you mean a credit card that is linked to your paypal account? if so it ill be no different then using your credit card.

Message 3 of 11
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@IncrsCredScore wrote:

if this works for increasing my credit score. My goal is to increae my FICO credit score and iif paying through Paypalo doesn't help to better my score, I will stop paying through Paypal

It's a CC transaction, so it counts as use.  However, use of your CCs in and of itself won't necessarily improve FICO scores.   I'd really suggest taking a read through the FICO scoring forums to see how the FICO scores are determined.  

(edited: typo)

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@IncrsCredScore wrote:

if this works for increasing my credit score.

No impact either way.  See also:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Paypal doesn't factor into any of those.  As staed above you're really just using your credit cards.  If you want to increase your score then work on the factors in the link.

Message 5 of 11
IncrsCredScore
Frequent Contributor

@kittywitty wrote:

oh do you mean a credit card that is linked to your paypal account? if so it ill be no different then using your credit card.

I mean the different credit cards I have linked to PayPal.

Message 6 of 11
IncrsCredScore
Frequent Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@IncrsCredScore wrote:

It's a CC transaction, so it counts as use.  However, use of your CCs in and of itself won't necessarily improve FICO scores.   I'd really suggest taking a read through the FICO scoring forums to see how the FICO scores are determined.  

(edited: typo)

Everything I have read here has led me to believe that 1) I should have credit cards (I had none before) and 2) using the credit cards judiciously having only up to 8% usage at cut off date.  I have only two credit cards; however, having used them my credit score with FICO has definitely increased.  So I must disagree that having credit cards and using them reasonably will not improve FICO scores.

Message 7 of 11
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@IncrsCredScore wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@IncrsCredScore wrote:

Everything I have read here has led me to believe that 1) I should have credit cards (I had none before) and 2) using the credit cards judiciously having only up to 8% usage at cut off date.  I have only two credit cards; however, having used them my credit score with FICO has definitely increased.  So I must disagree that having credit cards and using them reasonably will not improve FICO scores.

That isn't what I said, however.   What I said is that using a CC in and of itself will not necessarily improve a FICO score (i.e., if you ran up both CCs to a 90% balance and let those post on your statement, your scores would NOT be helped).   Now what you have mentioned is far more specific.   You have stated that using your CCs so that less than 8% of the CL posts at statement close has improved your FICO scores.   So let's work with those specifics...

UTIL is one of the biggest factors in FICO scoring.   For optimal scoring, overal UTIL should be <10% (but more than 0%) and UTIL on each CC should be less than <10%.   However, the amount of accounts with balances is also a factor.   If you're looking to optimize with two CCs, you should have one report a balance of <10% of the CL and the other should report at a zero balance.  

Whether PayPal or other transactions gets you to that goal really doesn't matter, however.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 8 of 11
IncrsCredScore
Frequent Contributor

Thank you.

Message 9 of 11
taxi818
Super Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@IncrsCredScore wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@IncrsCredScore wrote:

That isn't what I said, however.   What I said is that using a CC in and of itself will not necessarily improve a FICO score (i.e., if you ran up both CCs to a 90% balance and let those post on your statement, your scores would NOT be helped).   Now what you have mentioned is far more specific.   You have stated that using your CCs so that less than 8% of the CL posts at statement close has improved your FICO scores.   So let's work with those specifics...

UTIL is one of the biggest factors in FICO scoring.   For optimal scoring, overal UTIL should be <10% (but more than 0%) and UTIL on each CC should be less than <10%.   However, the amount of accounts with balances is also a factor.   If you're looking to optimize with two CCs, you should have one report a balance of <10% of the CL and the other should report at a zero balance.  

Whether PayPal or other transactions gets you to that goal really doesn't matter, however.  

Exactly. its not the usage. in itself. its the total utilization. 1 card with 0 balance . other card 10 percent or less will do it. Im started to think the closer you can get to 1 percent on that 1 card is given you all the points available in that catagory.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.