Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Credit Cards to pay for bills?

tag
henchita
Established Member

Using Credit Cards to pay for bills?

Just wondering if anyone does this...lately I keep using either checks and bank card to pay for my bills, so I was thinking if its coming out of my bank account anyways why not use my credit card that offers me rewards to pay for those things???  Is this a stupid idea?? or does everyone do this and I am just the last one on earth?

Starting Score: 590
Current Score: 704 TU, 660EQ
Goal Score: 720 ALL

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Using Credit Cards to pay for bills?

It's extremely common.  Thought process is pretty much like you said, it's all coming out of your bank so you may as well get some rewards for it.  It's gotten so popular Verizon tried to charge a fee to pay with a CC but due to the massive amount of public backlash they changed their tune. 

Message 2 of 24
Jkusa
Valued Member

@henchita wrote:

Just wondering if anyone does this...lately I keep using either checks and bank card to pay for my bills, so I was thinking if its coming out of my bank account anyways why not use my credit card that offers me rewards to pay for those things???  Is this a stupid idea?? or does everyone do this and I am just the last one on earth?

ding ding ding ding... j/k

I pay everthing possible on my rewards CC

src="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/i/custom/FFC_Icon.gif">Starting Score: 652
Current Score: EQ 685 TU 683 EX 699 (their sites FAKO) all as of 03/02/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 24
HiLine
Blogger

@henchita wrote:

You're right in the middle there buddy. Go for it! Robot tongue

Message 4 of 24
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

If one of my bills will accept a credit card then I will use it. Getting rewards back for paying bills is an excellent advantage IMO. There's actually only 1 or 2 bills that I can't pay with credit cards, all the rest I do. I've done it this way for a long long time.

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 5 of 24
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

It's okay, everybody has a blonde moment Smiley Happy

I pay for EVERYTHING that I can with my CC to maximize any and every reward available to me. I pay all of my bills by putting them on autopay to my CC. That way I'm not worried about late charges and forgotten payments. It also means I have less number of bills to pay. So yep you are on the right track!!

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 6 of 24
Matt6995
Regular Contributor

Just chiming in to agree with everyone else.

Get rewards to pay bills.....who would have thought.

Message 7 of 24
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@henchita wrote:

Pretty much Smiley Wink

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 24
zerobacan
Established Contributor

Just make sure you schedule them after or before your statement cut, not in the middle of the due date and the statement cut... Smiley Very Happy

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 9 of 24
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

My Barclays I get 2% back on utilities. I just can't do it on car insurance and lease payment.
Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500
In the garden until I can get a BCP

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 682 EQ SW 660 TU 636 EX 3/26/13
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.