Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Discover IT for Amazon 5% Cashback

tag
asot6

Using Discover IT for Amazon 5% Cashback

Happy turkey day everyone!

I got my Discover IT card back in October and transferred a pretty hefty balance on there.  I have not made any new purchases with it, but I did apply through Amazon's link and if I make a purchase within 3 months I'll get a $75-100 gift card from Amazon so I would like to take advantage of this.

I am signed up for the 5% Cashback bonus, and it clearly says Amazon is an example retailer--so I guess my question is, I can just use my Discover card upon checkout and the cashback should reflect automatically (I know it says it can take 8 weeks or so)?  What is confusing to me are the ShopDiscover and DiscoverDeals links through Discover--are these simply to save the standard 5% plus more?  I'm curious because Amazon only shows up on Discover Deals and even then it's only for a free gift wrapping promotion.  I just want to be sure...

Side question--I have the 18 months 0% apr on BT and it's 6 months on new purchases.  I actually plan on utilizing at least 12 months of the BT rate so I'm in no rush to pay off--but if I were to indeed make a purchase (would be less than $50), how can I be sure I won't actually pay interest on this?  My monthly payment for $140 is due in a couple weeks so if I were to make that new purchase, and paid say ~$200, would that assure me I wouldn't pay any interest on that small purchase after 6 months?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Using Discover IT for Amazon 5% Cashback

To the question about 5% at amazon:

The 5% shows up on the statement after the purchases were made. So any cashback you earn now will be available right when your upcoming statement cuts. Also if you make a 5% eligible purchase very close to the cut date it may take an extra statement to show up.

Message 2 of 4
uswala
Senior Contributor

@jroc556 wrote:

To the question about 5% at amazon:

The 5% shows up on the statement after the purchases were made. So any cashback you earn now will be available right when your upcoming statement cuts. Also if you make a 5% eligible purchase very close to the cut date it may take an extra statement to show up.

+1

Additionally, if you use Shopdiscover or their deals for online shopping, you should get that the 5% online bonus plus the extra bonus on Shopdiscover/deals.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@uswala wrote:

Additionally, if you use Shopdiscover or their deals for online shopping, you should get that the 5% online bonus plus the extra bonus on Shopdiscover/deals.

If you use the Discover card to pay for the ShopDiscover purchase that is. Right now it makes sense due to the 5% on online shopping but come next quarter this benefit will go away and it might make more sense to use a different card to pay for SD purchases.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.