Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using IHG points.. tips?

tag
Bman70
Established Contributor

Using IHG points.. tips?

So I have my 80k Chase IHG bonus points.. Marriott used to advertise that 80k points would be worth like 10 hotel nights. Are points less valuable for IHG? It seems like all hotels I look at are from 20k - 50k points per night! Any tips on maxmizing these points? 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Using IHG points.. tips?

IHG nights are between 10 and 50k a night

ALWAYS check the pointsbreaks list on the IHG website - http://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/global/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks

My thing with travelling and earning/redeeming points is worry less about where the points CAN take you, and worry more about where you WANT to go.

It doesn't matter if 80k IHG points can get you 8 nights in kalamazoo michigan if you want to stay in NYC. A vacation is still a vacation. It's going to cost you money. Your points can save you money, but you either need to be willing to

A) Spend more money/travel more often with $$ to earn points
B) Use both points and $ for your stay
C) Wait until you can afford it.
Message 2 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@jsucool76 wrote:
IHG nights are between 10 and 50k a night

ALWAYS check the pointsbreaks list on the IHG website - http://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/global/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks

My thing with travelling and earning/redeeming points is worry less about where the points CAN take you, and worry more about where you WANT to go.

It doesn't matter if 80k IHG points can get you 8 nights in kalamazoo michigan if you want to stay in NYC. A vacation is still a vacation. It's going to cost you money. Your points can save you money, but you either need to be willing to

A) Spend more money/travel more often with $$ to earn points
B) Use both points and $ for your stay
C) Wait until you can afford it.

This exactly.

Message 3 of 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I'm gonna bump this in case anyone has any strategies. I know a bit about ihg but I'm not invested in it so I can't offer the greatest advice.
Message 4 of 12
Bman70
Established Contributor

Thanks the points break link is good.. except nothing in California right now. Smiley Happy 

I've looked into part cash / part points, and that's a good deal because you can quickly earn additional nights, with the bonuses and sales they constantly have. You can also buy points cheaply during sales, and I just got 2000 points for reviewing a restaurant. 

For me, it's not a vacation per se, but rather quick business / recreation related trips within a few hours of where I live. For that, a night here and there is ideal. And I'm not picky about accomodations - enjoyed hostels in Ireland just as much as Carmel B&B. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

IHG points aren't known for top notch value honestly. I use pts plus cash whenever it makes sense. It's probably why I still have 140K of them. I have considered xfering them to AA miles since they are sp darned easy to earn anyway. My last paid stay of 3 nights earned nearly 17,000 points.
Message 6 of 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
IHG points aren't known for top notch value honestly. I use pts plus cash whenever it makes sense. It's probably why I still have 140K of them. I have considered xfering them to AA miles since they are sp darned easy to earn anyway. My last paid stay of 3 nights earned nearly 17,000 points.

Totally true on the earning, especially with spire status. 100% bonus. lol. 

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even Platinum you get with the CC does wonders for earning.
Message 8 of 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Even Platinum you get with the CC does wonders for earning.

Well you get 1 year of spire with the signup bonus if you get the 80k and with a 100% earning bonus it should be damn easy to requalify for spire over and over again. 

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

check emails for 500 pt bonus after installing IHG app and logging in.

Also there are some promos you can enroll in, to earn extra points. Mine is 57k points but Id have to stay 30 nights!  Instead I will just stay a few nights and get the 5k bonus per night and hope for a better point break list next time.

yes, these redemptions arent super great....however I got decent status for a place I know I can stay at... and 49 bucks once a year to stay at any IHG property is a steal.  I dunno I have quite a few hotels that are 20k points. I would never buy points.

Props to folks who got spire status earlier this year, that train has ended.

I totally agree with JSU about traveling. I would probably move things around to redeem my flier miles if possible, but not for IHG.... especially with expedia 25 off 100 coupon and easy way to earn 3 expedia points per dollar, or do the usual cash back site with a travel site combo paid for with a cash back card..... options are endless.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.