Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Inactive Card...

tag
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

Using Inactive Card...

Two questions. If I don't use a particular credit card does it still show a positive mark on my credit report each month or does it just not report anything?

Secondly I am wondering how often you need to use a card to keep it active. I have heard some people say that they will close an inactive account if you don't use it. On the other hand my relatives, with credit scores over 800 and huge limits on cards, have told me that they have cards that haven't been used in a year or more.

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

Re: Using Inactive Card...

@KeithW wrote:

Two questions. If I don't use a particular credit card does it still show a positive mark on my credit report each month or does it just not report anything?

Secondly I am wondering how often you need to use a card to keep it active. I have heard some people say that they will close an inactive account if you don't use it. On the other hand my relatives, with credit scores over 800 and huge limits on cards, have told me that they have cards that haven't been used in a year or more.

1. Yes

2. CCC are all different and experiences seem to differ even from the same CCC.

3. My experience and what seems to be the case with many on this site is we don't want to poke the bear and find out when they decide you have been inactive too long so we just keep a little activity every so often.

My personal experience with account closure has been very good (exception BoA) but I normally try not to push it beyond six months without activity.  My BoA experience is a bit unique as we have been on an open/close cycle for the last couple years but I get Royal Caribbean points on each new app so I don't mind the "dance".

Message 2 of 3
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

Re: Using Inactive Card...

Thanks. I guess every few months I will pull them out and fuel up the truck with them.

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.