cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Marriott card to get Gold Elite Status?

tag
nitrov
Established Contributor

Re: Using Marriott card to get Gold Elite Status?

@pakprotector wrote:

There are a lot of people on the forums like that... unfortunate. 

thanks,

BLH

I'm pretty sure almost every single person on these forums has made a mistake at least once in their lives. No need to judge.

My Top 3: Amex Delta Platinum ($30k) | Amex PRG | Citi Prestige ($30k) |

Starting scores 600-640 (2013), current 765-775 (2019); It is possible!

Message 11 of 78
pakprotector
New Contributor

Agree - some feel they need to point it out (errors), especially when someone asks for advice. Admonishment is not advice. Not sure how that helps. 

Thanks,

BLH

Message 12 of 78
nitrov
Established Contributor

@pakprotector wrote:

Agree - some feel they need to point it out (errors), especially when someone asks for advice. Admonishment is not advice. Not sure how that helps. 

Thanks,

BLH

Agreed. I just experiened it more than ever on these forums when I got turned down for the CSP. It was very disheartening, especially from a community that's built for the purpose of providing constructive criticism. Smiley Happy That's ok, I won't let the bad apples spoil it because I still get way too much valuable advice from here. Just unfortunate that it seems to be becoming more and more common. 

Message 13 of 78
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Ritz card is the easiest way to achieve Marriott Gold if you don't travel much. Once you get your Silver status, you can go for the Gold Challenege (6 stays in 90 days) to get Gold Status but this can only be done once every 3 years.

Message 14 of 78
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@nitrov wrote:

@pakprotector wrote:

There are a lot of people on the forums like that... unfortunate. 

thanks,

BLH

I'm pretty sure almost every single person on these forums has made a mistake at least once in their lives. No need to judge.

No one is judging you, just giving you advise. I even congratulated you, no need to take it as an attack. If you were interested in obtaining gold status maybe would have been better to start a thread and ask for advise on the two cards. I have made plenty of mistakes and I welcomed any suggestions given by the other members of the forum. Have a great day and lets keep it friendly!!

Message 15 of 78
nitrov
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@nitrov wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@nitrov wrote:

DARN IT, really?! I had no idea! Can I PC to Ritz from Marriott or is it a separate app? Smiley Frustrated

Separate app

you're breaking my heart...I wonder if I app now since it's been less than 30 days if they'd use the same HP. Is it worth me trying to app for it, and if approved move the CL from Marriott over to Ritz? How does that 80k signup bonus from Marriott compare to the 2 free nights for Ritz?

Doubtful that they would use the same HP.  If I were you I would finish the spend requirement on the Marriott, get the 80K points and then apply for the Ritz.  I wouldn't necessarily cancel the Marriott right away so as not to draw the ire of Chase and you can always close it down the road and then transfer the limit over.  The offers are very similar but you also get three club level upgrades at a Ritz with the RC card.  Of course the AF is much higher but there are quite a few benefits to offset the AF.

@Anonymous -- the more I think about it the more I'm scared by the time I go to app for Ritz the 5/24 might apply to that card as well. 5/24 doesn't apply to that card right now, right? What do you think my odds of getting approved for it right now are given that they just approved me for Marriott? Smiley Frustrated

Message 16 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nitrov wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@nitrov wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@nitrov wrote:

DARN IT, really?! I had no idea! Can I PC to Ritz from Marriott or is it a separate app? Smiley Frustrated

Separate app

you're breaking my heart...I wonder if I app now since it's been less than 30 days if they'd use the same HP. Is it worth me trying to app for it, and if approved move the CL from Marriott over to Ritz? How does that 80k signup bonus from Marriott compare to the 2 free nights for Ritz?

Doubtful that they would use the same HP.  If I were you I would finish the spend requirement on the Marriott, get the 80K points and then apply for the Ritz.  I wouldn't necessarily cancel the Marriott right away so as not to draw the ire of Chase and you can always close it down the road and then transfer the limit over.  The offers are very similar but you also get three club level upgrades at a Ritz with the RC card.  Of course the AF is much higher but there are quite a few benefits to offset the AF.

@Anonymous -- the more I think about it the more I'm scared by the time I go to app for Ritz the 5/24 might apply to that card as well. 5/24 doesn't apply to that card right now, right? What do you think my odds of getting approved for it right now are given that they just approved me for Marriott? Smiley Frustrated

As of today the 5/24 does not apply to co branded cards.  I'd say your chances are good but with Chase you never know.  The way I look at it is if the card and Marriott status are important to you and you can make good use of the card in your travels, then apply.  The only 'bad' thing that would happen is an inquiry and the effects of those are minimal.  I'd never let the fear of an inquiry hold me back from applying for a great card, and I consider the Ritz a great card.

Message 17 of 78
nitrov
Established Contributor

Were you a buddha in a former life or something? Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nitrov wrote:
Were you a buddha in a former life or something? Smiley Very Happy

Heh Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 78
nitrov
Established Contributor

I sent Chase an SM earlier this morning asking if I can PC the new Marriott to Ritz, since I haven't even gotten the card yet. I'm sure they're gonna say no, but once they do I'm just gonna go ahead and app for the Ritz. I'd rather app now rather than wait only to find out they implemented 5/24 for that one too. I have a feeling they'll either say no and make me recon/use the Marriott SL to open it, or give me a dinky CL on it. Whatever, the price I pay for not submitting the right app the first time! lol

Message 20 of 78
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.