cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Marriott card to get Gold Elite Status?

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Using Marriott card to get Gold Elite Status?

@nitrov wrote:
Oh wow! See that's stuff they don't readily include in even the fine print. With IHG, I'm able to get upgrades and stuff on rooms I pay for with my corporate rate, so I'm already getting a pretty decent base rate deal. I'm not a fan of paying full price for much of anything, especially not for a Ritz just so I can have access to club level rooms. VERY interesting. Seems like Marriott treats their clients pretty differently from IHG. I figured by this point that they'd be more competitive with one another in terms of benefits for various loyalty levels. I know I'm a zero with SPG being Gold with them, but even there they're at least nice and get me an upgraded room. Doesn't sound like that'd even happen too often at Ritz/Marriott even if I did get gold with them. Hmm, maybe I will just stick to the Marriott card then, even though that rental coverage is a very good perk. I've honestly (thankfully, knock on wood) never had a problem in a rental so I'm not even 100% sure if any of my cards would 100% cover me without involving my own insurance. I find it hard to believe neither Prestige or one of the Amex cards do for the high AF :\

If you are SPG Gold, you can sign up for Crossover Points with Delta. You will earn Delta miles for SPG stays, in addition to the SPG points, and if you fly Delta, you get SPG points for the ticket you bought from Delta. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 41 of 78
red259
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@nitrov wrote:
Oh wow! See that's stuff they don't readily include in even the fine print. With IHG, I'm able to get upgrades and stuff on rooms I pay for with my corporate rate, so I'm already getting a pretty decent base rate deal. I'm not a fan of paying full price for much of anything, especially not for a Ritz just so I can have access to club level rooms. VERY interesting. Seems like Marriott treats their clients pretty differently from IHG. I figured by this point that they'd be more competitive with one another in terms of benefits for various loyalty levels. I know I'm a zero with SPG being Gold with them, but even there they're at least nice and get me an upgraded room. Doesn't sound like that'd even happen too often at Ritz/Marriott even if I did get gold with them. Hmm, maybe I will just stick to the Marriott card then, even though that rental coverage is a very good perk. I've honestly (thankfully, knock on wood) never had a problem in a rental so I'm not even 100% sure if any of my cards would 100% cover me without involving my own insurance. I find it hard to believe neither Prestige or one of the Amex cards do for the high AF :\

If you are SPG Gold, you can sign up for Crossover Points with Delta. You will earn Delta miles for SPG stays, in addition to the SPG points, and if you fly Delta, you get SPG points for the ticket you bought from Delta. 

I'm SPG Gold where do I signup for this? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 42 of 78
nitrov
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@nitrov wrote:

Yea, how DO you get this? First I've heard of it! That's why I love these forums.

Also, lookie what I just came across today...https://hiltonhhonors.hiltonapps.com/

Apparently Hilton is offering to match status from other hotel groups. It would be awesome if they'd give me Diamond status for free! Smiley Happy

I keep getting email offers from Hilton for 100k points for signup too, so if I got Diamond that would make it pretty tempting...

My Top 3: Amex Delta Platinum ($30k) | Amex PRG | Citi Prestige ($30k) |

Starting scores 600-640 (2013), current 765-775 (2019); It is possible!

Message 43 of 78
Open123
Super Contributor

If I recall correctly, you log onto your SPG and under profile, there should be an option for Delta Crossover.  You enter your skymles number, name, and log-in (?) and it'll sync the account.

While you're at it, mind as well link up Uber too.  This way, you earn an SPG point for Uber and 3X during the days when staying at an SPG property.

Message 44 of 78
nitrov
Established Contributor

I'll try tomorrow!

Message 45 of 78
red259
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

If I recall correctly, you log onto your SPG and under profile, there should be an option for Delta Crossover.  You enter your skymles number, name, and log-in (?) and it'll sync the account.

While you're at it, mind as well link up Uber too.  This way, you earn an SPG point for Uber and 3X during the days when staying at an SPG property.

I'll set it up tomorrow. Delta is not an airline I really use, but I guess you never know when it could come in handy. Starwoods I stay at once in awhile on award stays when there is not a hyatt around, but I like their credit card to earn spg points. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 46 of 78
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Once your silver status is granted you can do a gold status challenge. Something like 6 stays in 3 months or something like that.

Don't know if anyone already said that. Not gonna read the whole thread. I'm lazy.
Message 47 of 78
elim
Senior Contributor

@nitrov wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just my 2 cents here... I have been both silver and gold with Marriott rewards and I can't say I was treated much differently. In fact I generally get the gold perks with my silver membership as long as the hotel isn't that busy. It kinda seems like the places we stay are shocked to even see a silver member so we get treated pretty well. Smiley Happy

Here's a link to the official benefits to compare: http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/member-benefits.mi

Wow, that's good to know! I went to a Hilton property with a friend of mine who had Platinum or something status and we got treated like royalty. I got HHonors Gold when I had my Amex Platinum and I don't think they could've cared less lol. I wasn't sure if Marriott was similar when it came to silver vs. gold benefits and how they actually treat the guest when they go to check-in to the hotel. I appreciate that! At least if I'm stuck with the Marriott card I know it won't be that bad Smiley Happy

+1

I have had nice upgrades with silver.  Gold get's you some $10 breakfast vouchers but the RC card is pretty much badass. I'm stocking up on AA GC's for the AF's and don't forget it comes with a lounge club card.

I would just app for RC after you meet the spend on Marriott. Next year you can roll the M limit to the RC after getting both bonuses (or just keep the M card for the $85 cert).

Message 48 of 78
nitrov
Established Contributor

@elim wrote:

@nitrov wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just my 2 cents here... I have been both silver and gold with Marriott rewards and I can't say I was treated much differently. In fact I generally get the gold perks with my silver membership as long as the hotel isn't that busy. It kinda seems like the places we stay are shocked to even see a silver member so we get treated pretty well. Smiley Happy

Here's a link to the official benefits to compare: http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/member-benefits.mi

Wow, that's good to know! I went to a Hilton property with a friend of mine who had Platinum or something status and we got treated like royalty. I got HHonors Gold when I had my Amex Platinum and I don't think they could've cared less lol. I wasn't sure if Marriott was similar when it came to silver vs. gold benefits and how they actually treat the guest when they go to check-in to the hotel. I appreciate that! At least if I'm stuck with the Marriott card I know it won't be that bad Smiley Happy

+1

I have had nice upgrades with silver.  Gold get's you some $10 breakfast vouchers but the RC card is pretty much badass. I'm stocking up on AA GC's for the AF's and don't forget it comes with a lounge club card.

I would just app for RC after you meet the spend on Marriott. Next year you can roll the M limit to the RC after getting both bonuses (or just keep the M card for the $85 cert).

That's pretty much exactly what I plan on doing at this point Smiley LOL no harm in trying out both cards for a year and seeing what I like better. Worst case scenario Marriott easily pays for itself with the free anniversary night, and I'm pretty sure I'll get my money's worth out of Ritz at least for one year. I've never had a metal card either (I know it's kind of silly) but it'd be nice to see how much or little I actually care about having one. 

I guess I can do a good ol' Pepsi Challenge and see how Marriott compares with upgrades vs. IHG and maybe even a step further and throw Hilton into the mix if they happen to give me Diamond status on their loyalty match offer I submitted yesterday Smiley Happy

Message 49 of 78
nitrov
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

I'll set it up tomorrow. Delta is not an airline I really use, but I guess you never know when it could come in handy. Starwoods I stay at once in awhile on award stays when there is not a hyatt around, but I like their credit card to earn spg points. 

I fly Delta pretty often, but because their loyalty status structure is so complicated (MQS, MQD, MQM), I almost ALWAYS miss getting bumped to a higher status tier by like one silly arbitrary unit of measure for them. It's happened to me 2 years in a row and frustrates me to no end. I would assume the SPG reciprocity would help with getting "general miles," but probably not count as MQMs...would love to be wrong though

Message 50 of 78
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.