Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Personal Credit Card for LLC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Personal Credit Card for LLC

I am establishing an LLC. I received a "pre-approved" offer for a credit card that has a better introductory APR rate (0% for 18 months) and regular APR rate (12.99 - 18.99%) than I have found when searching for a business credit card (average = 0% for 6 months and 13.24 - 19.24%). I understand for either card I will need to use my own credit score and personal information to apply but don't know if using a personal card for business purposes is riskier. 

FICO Scores are TransUnion = 724 and Equifax = 723.

My question is:

Can I open this Personal Credit Card and use it solely for my LLC or would it be a wiser decision to open a Business Credit Card?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Using Personal Credit Card for LLC

I have read somewhere that while Business CC use personal credit history to OPEN, once opended, they do not report to your personal credit thereafter.  Not sure if this still holds true but, if so, the advantage of having such a hidden TL would outweigh the benfefit of a better APR, especially if you intend to carry a blance.  You could probably expense the AF on the card as well!  (though, again, not certain)

Hopefully others can chime in.

Message 2 of 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Using Personal Credit Card for LLC

OP, I own 3 businesses (S-Corp, a LLC, and a sole-prop) and use only my personal CCs for those expenses. At one point I got hung up on establishing business credit for 2 of the 3 (in early development on the LLC and thus no income) and found that due to cash flow issues from time to time, I found myself being late on some accounts. I don't mind taking a loss and don't mind floating my own income to cover bills if needed, but I find myself more accountable to the companys' finances and to my own finances if I use my own CCs to cover expenses like office supplies, widgets, and so forth. A couple of my CCs are for business only and therefore I can write off any expenses on those CCs, any interest, and annual fees, etc. And IMO, it isn't riskier. I won't charge more than the business can pay so that way I only need to float these expenses 30-60 days tops and then I'll turn around and PIF. Now it would be riskier if you charge and don't have the mid-term cash flow or assets to pay it off.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.