Reply
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 4,875
Registered: ‎11-02-2010
0

Re: Using a long-unused credit card already on acct - my credit score drops?


JustinIND wrote:
Odd... Curious what was the balance reported vs credit line or highest balance?

I have actually had my Fico go up a point or two for using a card that has not had activity in 3 or 4 months. In fact, one of my positively affecting my Fico score is "recent credit card use"

As a matter of fact, the same thing happened to me today. I just received a score watch alert on myFICO and when I went to view it, it said that an unused account was showing activitiy. This was my Kay Jeweler card; I just used it this month for some repairs. I got a 5 point boost as a result. Go figure...


Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,978
Registered: ‎04-07-2009
0

Re: Using a long-unused credit card already on acct - my credit score drops?

I believe score watch has a setting for when to alert you for a dormant account. Can you check ? I think the alert and the score drop may be tow different issues.

Equifax My FICO score 815 5/28/2012, 818 on 7/28/2014 . Average of Accounts 12 years and no Installment accounts. MyFICO TU 810 6/26/2012 809 4/21/2013 MyFICO XPN -805. 2/26/2014 Discover TU FICO 813 App free since 9/2011
Regular Contributor
Posts: 142
Registered: ‎01-19-2010
0

Re: Using a long-unused credit card already on acct - my credit score drops?


AndySoCal wrote:

I believe score watch has a setting for when to alert you for a dormant account. Can you check ? I think the alert and the score drop may be tow different issues.


Andy, you're right.  And I think the default setting is 3 months.  I didn't realize that ... thanks for pointing it out.

 

The score drop may be (more) attributable to my eating up $1300 of a $1700 CL in a couple of transactions at Dillard's (on a dormant card, if that has anything to do with it at all).  Anxious to see what the scores do when the PIF shows up next month -- will it go back to the 683, or whatever it was before ???

 

Thanks.

Starting Score: 542 (in 2006)
Current Score: 661 (TU FICO), 677 (EQ FICO), 672 (EX FICO)
Goal Score: 750+
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 4,875
Registered: ‎11-02-2010
0

Re: Using a long-unused credit card already on acct - my credit score drops?


OnWayUpinTexas wrote:

AndySoCal wrote:

I believe score watch has a setting for when to alert you for a dormant account. Can you check ? I think the alert and the score drop may be tow different issues.


Andy, you're right.  And I think the default setting is 3 months.  I didn't realize that ... thanks for pointing it out.

 

The score drop may be (more) attributable to my eating up $1300 of a $1700 CL in a couple of transactions at Dillard's (on a dormant card, if that has anything to do with it at all).  Anxious to see what the scores do when the PIF shows up next month -- will it go back to the 683, or whatever it was before ???

 

Thanks.


Yeah, that's probably what did it. You should be fine after PIF.


Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,978
Registered: ‎04-07-2009
0

Re: Using a long-unused credit card already on acct - my credit score drops?

There are two factors that will have affected your score.  One the is PIF of the Dillards account which will be positive. The other factor is the dormant account now being active. How much if at all that account was being factored into your score is another factor. I would say the bigger factor should be the PIF of the Dillard account. I would be interested in hearing how much of a change it tunrs out to be.

Equifax My FICO score 815 5/28/2012, 818 on 7/28/2014 . Average of Accounts 12 years and no Installment accounts. MyFICO TU 810 6/26/2012 809 4/21/2013 MyFICO XPN -805. 2/26/2014 Discover TU FICO 813 App free since 9/2011
Regular Contributor
Posts: 142
Registered: ‎01-19-2010
0

Re: Using a long-unused credit card already on acct - my credit score drops?


AndySoCal wrote:

There are two factors that will have affected your score.  One the is PIF of the Dillards account which will be positive. The other factor is the dormant account now being active. How much if at all that account was being factored into your score is another factor. I would say the bigger factor should be the PIF of the Dillard account. I would be interested in hearing how much of a change it tunrs out to be.


I'll be sure to let you know.  I think it reports around the 12th, off the top of my head.  Thanks for your input.

Starting Score: 542 (in 2006)
Current Score: 661 (TU FICO), 677 (EQ FICO), 672 (EX FICO)
Goal Score: 750+
New Member
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎05-15-2013
0

Re: Using a long-unused credit card already on acct - my credit score drops?

I have a card that I use infrequently. About every 3 months there is a situation when previous month balance was zero, and present month balance is $20-30. Every time this happens, my rating drops by 15 points. Never ever allow your balance to drop to zero! Disable auto-payment  option - it might leave you with zero balance.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
Posts: 27,327
Registered: ‎02-07-2013
0

Re: Using a long-unused credit card already on acct - my credit score drops?

 OLD THREAD ALERT

+ Chase ink =




Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.