Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 3,470
Registered: ‎06-05-2013
0

Using card for auto payment

I was thinking about using my chase freedom card for auto payment for things like the gym etc where the payment would come out on the first of the month each month. I spoke with the chase rep and she indicated my statement is issued on the first of the month and that they report to the credit agencies occurs the same day. So if I want to report a zero balance and I pay everything off like three days before the end of the month and then the statement issues on the first, the same day the card gets charged for the monthly gym membership will a balance be reported to the CRAs? If so, what is the best way to handle this? Adjust my payment due date?


Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 730 6/27/14, Last App 6/7/15
Goal Score: 800 In garden until 7/2015
Established Contributor
Posts: 726
Registered: ‎05-12-2012
0

Re: Using card for auto payment

[ Edited ]

red259 wrote:

I was thinking about using my chase freedom card for auto payment for things like the gym etc where the payment would come out on the first of the month each month. I spoke with the chase rep and she indicated my statement is issued on the first of the month and that they report to the credit agencies occurs the same day. So if I want to report a zero balance and I pay everything off like three days before the end of the month and then the statement issues on the first, the same day the card gets charged for the monthly gym membership will a balance be reported to the CRAs? If so, what is the best way to handle this? Adjust my payment due date?


Actually if your statement cuts on the 1st and your charges are also on the 1st, then it's highly unlikely that the charge would post before that statement cut. The reported balance is only for charges that have posted to the account. Anything that is still pending at the time of statement cut will not be reported, so I would say you'll be ok there.

 

Forgive me if I misunderstood your question.


border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Mega Contributor
Posts: 15,442
Registered: ‎04-09-2011
0

Re: Using card for auto payment


red259 wrote:

I was thinking about using my chase freedom card for auto payment for things like the gym etc where the payment would come out on the first of the month each month. I spoke with the chase rep and she indicated my statement is issued on the first of the month and that they report to the credit agencies occurs the same day. So if I want to report a zero balance and I pay everything off like three days before the end of the month and then the statement issues on the first, the same day the card gets charged for the monthly gym membership will a balance be reported to the CRAs? If so, what is the best way to handle this? Adjust my payment due date?


Talk to the gym about switching your due date.




Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Valued Contributor
Posts: 3,470
Registered: ‎06-05-2013
0

Re: Using card for auto payment

I think you understood the question perfectly. I wasn't sure if pending transactions would be included in the balance reported to CRAs and believe your logic is sound that it would not be sent to the CRAs on such a short turnaround. Thank you.


Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 730 6/27/14, Last App 6/7/15
Goal Score: 800 In garden until 7/2015
Established Contributor
Posts: 726
Registered: ‎05-12-2012
0

Re: Using card for auto payment


red259 wrote:

I think you understood the question perfectly. I wasn't sure if pending transactions would be included in the balance reported to CRAs and believe your logic is sound that it would not be sent to the CRAs on such a short turnaround. Thank you.


Very welcome...I can speak from experience that pending charges will not be included in your reported balance. :smileyhappy: But keep in mind, if you charge something a day or two before the statement cuts, some lenders are notorious for posting them real quick so they hit your closing statement. YMMV as always.


border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Established Contributor
Posts: 930
Registered: ‎07-30-2011
0

Re: Using card for auto payment

Will Citi change the due date if you ask them?  GE changed a due date for me, because I told them I'd be able to give them more of my business if it reported at a different day of the month.


Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
Posts: 221
Registered: ‎09-20-2012
0

Re: Using card for auto payment

Yes Citi will allow you to change the due date. I've done it twice. Both times online under the benefits & services tab. There's a drop down box with the available dates. For the date you want, I believe your request has to be made at least five days ahead of time. For example, if you want your new date to be the 6th, you need to make the request no later than the 1st. Otherwise, it won't be in that drop box.
iPhone. iTypos. iApologize.



Current Score: EQ FICO 735 TU FICO 739 EX FICO 743
Goal Score: 800 Gardening since 6/2014 but haven't been active on the board
Mega Contributor
Posts: 15,442
Registered: ‎04-09-2011
0

Re: Using card for auto payment


shanac wrote:
Yes Citi will allow you to change the due date. I've done it twice. Both times online under the benefits & services tab. There's a drop down box with the available dates. For the date you want, I believe your request has to be made at least five days ahead of time. For example, if you want your new date to be the 6th, you need to make the request no later than the 1st. Otherwise, it won't be in that drop box.

You can change the due date but AFAIK you cant change the statement cut date.




Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.