Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using chip+sig cards in Europe

tag
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Using chip+sig cards in Europe

So I know in Europe, the locals all have chip+PIN cards and they look at you funny if you try to use a swipe card in some places.  How exactly does a chip+sig card work over there, though?

Like, when the server brings you the check at a restaurant, usually they'll bring the POS machine with it and let you do the honors.  Do you still have to sign something?  Does it ask for a PIN?  Do you just swipe it instead?

Also, I understand there are some differences even among chip+PIN.  For example, if I have a Barclay chip+PIN card, am I still going to have similar problems as with a chip+sig card?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Using chip+sig cards in Europe

Well actually, in my home country, all cards are chip with pin, only card with signature is Diners. So because all US credit cards have chip but no pin, it will work with signature. And they will be confused why is on signature without pin. Having chip is no more secured then signature because there is no point honestly without having a pin. So your cards will work chip + signature or swipe + signature.
Message 2 of 13
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Do merchants in Europe have a preference though?

Message 3 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Fish and chips?
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in Germany as a part of the Army. All merchants here only use the chip and require a signature but no pin. The signature on the back of the cards is what they go by. I've had no problems using my Visa or MasterCard here but Amex is a hit or miss. At the gas stations though they take anything. If you have any more questions feel free to shoot me an email!
Best,
Vic
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Well actually, in my home country, all cards are chip with pin, only card with signature is Diners. So because all US credit cards have chip but no pin, it will work with signature. And they will be confused why is on signature without pin. Having chip is no more secured then signature because there is no point honestly without having a pin. So your cards will work chip + signature or swipe + signature.

That's not quite true.  There are several US issued true Chip and PIN credit cards.  The BMO  Harris bank issued Diners Elite that quite a few of us have (no longer issued) and several credit unions like United NATIONS FCU issue such cards.

Message 6 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's true in the case of a stolen card, but surely the chip makes a card significantly more difficult to clone?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 13
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

There are four types of credit cards issued in the US:

1.  Magnetic strip only cards.  These cards are pretty much useless in Europe.  Leave them at home.  I got rid of my last such card two months ago.

2.  Chip+signature.  These will work where there is a human being to process your transaction.  You will sign a slip of paper like you do in the US.  Waiters often act annoyed when they see one of these cards because they have to go find a pen, and they have to keep track of the signed slip of paper.  Sometimes these cards will work without signature for unattended transactions at train ticket machines, subway fare machines, parking garages, toll booths, etc.  Other times not.  My Chase United Explorer and Chase Sapphire Reserve fall into this category.

3.  Chip+PIN with signature preference (this preference is coded into the chip by the card issuer).  This card works exactly like the chip+signature card (#2) when a human being processes your transaction, but the card will require you to use your PIN for unattended transactions (like #4).  All four of my NFCU and PFCU cards fall into this category.  I believe that the Barclay cards do as well, but I have no experience.

4.  Chip+PIN with PIN preference (the preference is coded into the chip by the card issuer).  This card always requires a PIN.  Waiters will love you.  Shopkeepers will love you.  Why?  Because this how the European cards work.  My UNFCU Azure Visa falls into this category, and that is the reason why I keep this card despite its mediocre rewards program.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 8 of 13
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

I haven't had issues with my Capital One chip + sig, the merchants get confused when it doesn't prompt for a pin, but it works.

Message 9 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

FANTASTIC summary, UpperNwGuy!

Even in Canada, you will get strange looks in some places for a.) not having "tap" (contactless card) like everyone else and b.) the confusion on why there's a signature slip printing out.  In much of Europe (continental and otherwise), you'll find that most shops are not even allowed to use magnetic stripe cards so you need chip + signature at worst and preferably chip + PIN.  Hotels and airports you're usually fine no matter what.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.