Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using credit card on PayPal

tag
js2787
Established Member

Using credit card on PayPal

Are these viewed as "cash advances"? Or purchases?

Scenario:

I want to sent money to a friend for an item via PayPal. Just curious since I am not purchasing from day ebay...etc.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Blodreina
Established Contributor

Re: Using credit card on PayPal

@Anonymous wrote:

There is no fee when you use your card to pay for goods, services, or eBay items.

If you use your card to send money to someone for personal reasons (not to pay for something), we charge a small fee.

You can pay the fee or ask the recipient to pay it. Your card issuer may charge a cash advance fee, too

Sounds like it depends on the card.  I've never sent money this way, so I can't speak from personal experience.

Message 2 of 12
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

If sent as goods or services it may be considered as a purchase. If sending to family or friend it may be considered cash advance 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jaylima91 wrote:

If sent as goods or services it may be considered as a purchase. If sending to family or friend it may be considered cash advance 

I think this is correct. When you get the option to choose, select "I'm paying for goods or services".

Message 4 of 12
shakalaka
Established Contributor

If you select "I'm paying for goods or services" at will count as purchase. At least for Amex, Discover and Chase. These are the ones I used so far and yes, it has been non ebay payments.

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 5 of 12
JSS3
Valued Contributor

AFAIK whenever I used a credit card to send money, I'd choose, "Sending to friends and family". Never have I been charged a cash advance fee. I believe the difference between the two(Sending to friends/family vs Paying for Goods and Services) is who has to pay the 3% fee. 

I vaguely remember the old paypal requiring you to first choose sending to family but then you'd have to select either "goods and services" or "cash advance". Not absolutely sure though. 

Message 6 of 12
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@js2787 wrote:
Are these viewed as "cash advances"? Or purchases?

Depends on the type of transaction.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?articleID=FAQ499&m=SRE&url=https%253A%...

Message 7 of 12
Luscher
Valued Contributor

I used my BOA card to send $2600 through paypal and had no problem. Even left the balance on the card for 3 months......They kinda liked it considering they gave me a CLI of 8k after I paid it off
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been using AMEX on paypal forever. No problems here.

Message 9 of 12
Luscher
Valued Contributor

The only time a CCC will have a problem is if you are trying to use it as a cash advance like sending money to yourself somehow or sending money to a family member for yourself. If they catch on to it, they may not like it. Idk why anybody would do that since paypal charges a fee, but you never know these days
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.