Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using credit card to rent car internationally

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Using credit card to rent car internationally

I'm headed to Greece and I wanted to find out about renting cars overseas. I have never done this and have only rented domestically. I do not have driver's insuance. How does insurance work internationally? I just buy everything from the rental agency? Do I still get CDW from credit cards even though its outside the US? Are there certain cards (beyond the obvious FTF issue) that I should use to rent cars overseas? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

Re: Using credit card to rent car internationally

Get yourself a AAA International Driving Permit. Do you have a Chase Sapphire Preferred? That's all you'd need. Most

@red259 wrote:

I'm headed to Greece and I wanted to find out about renting cars overseas. I have never done this and have only rented domestically. I do not have driver's insuance. How does insurance work internationally? I just buy everything from the rental agency? Do I still get CDW from credit cards even though its outside the US? Are there certain cards (beyond the obvious FTF issue) that I should use to rent cars overseas? 

credit cards with rental insurance act as primary insurance outside the US. Your US insurance policy (if you even had one) wouldn't cover international accidents anyway.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 2 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@Credit_hawk wrote:

Get yourself a AAA International Driving Permit. Do you have a Chase Sapphire Preferred? That's all you'd need. Most

@red259 wrote:

credit cards with rental insurance act as primary insurance outside the US. Your US insurance policy (if you even had one) wouldn't cover international accidents anyway.

I only have CS. For paid AF carsds I have the ink business cards (those are limited to business rentals) and a chase hyatt card. Other higher end cards I have are Amex Plat and citi prestige. 

;
Message 3 of 8
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

Most cards will cover you internationally.  The CS has has FTF though, what do other cards do you have without FTF?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you order online from a big company (Hertz, Avis, etc), they should charge you in $US.  AMEX is supposed to have good international rental insurance.  I use AAdvantage, they have good rental coverage.

Message 5 of 8
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

AMEX and Prestige both will cover international insurance. So you're good to go. But seriously check out a AAA driving permit. You don't have to do much but go to an AAA authorized tags place pay the $20 and its a very good backup for your US license and even needed in some European countries. 

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 6 of 8
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you order online from a big company (Hertz, Avis, etc), they should charge you in $US.  

This has not been my experience.  They run your credit card when you arrive at the rental desk in the country you're visiting, your charge is in that currency.  

Agree, you will need an international drivers licence in Greece.

Message 7 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you order online from a big company (Hertz, Avis, etc), they should charge you in $US.  

This has not been my experience.  They run your credit card when you arrive at the rental desk in the country you're visiting, your charge is in that currency.  

Agree, you will need an international drivers licence in Greece.

Talking to some people I am being told the islands have decent bus service so I may not bother with the car rental but I will swing by an AAA office and get an international driver's license to be on the safe side so at least I have the option. 

;
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.