cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using debit card = credit check.

Valued Contributor

Using debit card = credit check.

In tiny print, way, way, WAY down several screens, I found this excerpt from Avis

 

" If you use a debit card at this location, you won't need to present a second form of identification, but we will perform a credit check at the time of rental to determine credit worthiness."

 

In other words, pay cash, get credit pulled.  Pay with credit, no credit pull.  Smiley Indifferent

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES
Frequent Contributor

Re: Using debit card = credit check.

This happened with me, but was a soft pull.

Message 2 of 14
Valued Contributor

Re: Using debit card = credit check.

 


IOBA wrote:

In tiny print, way, way, WAY down several screens, I found this excerpt from Avis

 

" If you use a debit card at this location, you won't need to present a second form of identification, but we will perform a credit check at the time of rental to determine credit worthiness."

 

In other words, pay cash, get credit pulled.  Pay with credit, no credit pull.  Smiley Indifferent


Smiley Very Happy

 

 

Park on a driveway; drive on a parkway.

(George Carlin)

 

Message 3 of 14
Frequent Contributor

Re: Using debit card = credit check.

How do they pull your report without SSN?

What's in your wallet?
-Not Capital One.
Message 4 of 14
Established Contributor

Re: Using debit card = credit check.

 


tengtengvn wrote:

How do they pull your report without SSN?


I have a reason to believe that reports can also be pulled just by using name & address. SSN is not really required.

 

Message 5 of 14
Established Member

Re: Using debit card = credit check.

 


ifinet wrote:

 


tengtengvn wrote:

How do they pull your report without SSN?


I have a reason to believe that reports can also be pulled just by using name & address. SSN is not really required.

 


Also, the car rental companies either make a copy or just ask to see your driver's license, and it always seems that they type everything on it into their system, and driver's licenses often include your Social.

 

 

 

Message 6 of 14
Valued Member

Re: Using debit card = credit check.

That is true. I went through the process. I thought it was a hard pull though. A tip to them is whichever cc you may use initially, make sure it is the farthest date from reporting to the bureau's. Use that card and when you return the car, then use your debit card. On car rental agencies defense, most have had issues with people that use their debit card not understand the differences in rules. They want to insure that if the car is damaged and you don't take their insurance that you are responsible to be able to repair it one way or another. If your credit score is low, they consider you a risk and deny you. It is the same theory businesses are using in hiring nowadays. "If you can't handle your own money, how can you handle mine?" Not saying it is right all the time, but I get it. I don't like it, but I get it.


Starting Score: EQ 495
Current Score: EQ 694 4/10
Goal Score: 760 + 12/10


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 14
Established Contributor

Re: Using debit card = credit check.

They should not be pulling credit they should pulling Chexsystems I guess Dave Ramsey won't be renting any cars from Avis
People say "Only apply for credit you NEED"

I say "apply for credit you have PRATICAL use of"

I don't have AMEX card because I don't want a card that suffers from PMS
Message 8 of 14
Valued Member

Re: Using debit card = credit check.

Right! then there is the locals that rent using debit cards and wreck it and don't have there insurance together. I ran a rental car company for three years. We never ran credit so it doesn't have to happen, but everyone isn't honest. It's always the honest people paying for the dishonest.

Starting Score: EQ 495
Current Score: EQ 694 4/10
Goal Score: 760 + 12/10


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 14
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Using debit card = credit check.

 


huh wrote:

 




Also, the car rental companies either make a copy or just ask to see your driver's license, and it always seems that they type everything on it into their system, and driver's licenses often include your Social.

 

 

 


Really? Which states do that? I know Texas doesn't.

 

 

 

From a BK years ago to:

9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 10 of 14