Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Contributor

Using my Amex in Paypal

I buy stuff online and the websites usually direct me to pay through Paypal for their goods and services. The transaction shows up on my Amex account as PP* Merchant Charge. As long as they are listed as Merchant Charge Amex shouldn't freak out right? I remember seeing that Amex cards and PP are kinda iffy because how it can look like MS. My transactions are for actual things. They also count as actual purchases and not "cash like" charges?

Hyatt Visa | Chase Freedom | Amex ED | Discover IT Miles | Amex Skymiles Gold | Amex PRG

Re: Using my Amex in Paypal

SkyCommander wrote:

I buy stuff online and the websites usually direct me to pay through Paypal for their goods and services. The transaction shows up on my Amex account as PP* Merchant Charge. As long as they are listed as Merchant Charge Amex shouldn't freak out right? I remember seeing that Amex cards and PP are kinda iffy because how it can look like MS. My transactions are for actual things. They also count as actual purchases and not "cash like" charges?

You're fine.  Like a lot of supposed things that Amex doesn't do or like, the use of Amex with PayPal is one of them.  Another myth commonly stated.  Plenty of people use Amex with PayPal wihtout issue.  What you are doing is fine and will be considered as a purchase.

Contributor

I have my Amex Plat. card linked, and use it all the time, no worries!!

Regular Contributor

You shouldnt have anything to worry about. I frequent use my AmEx to make payments to people and any website that takes it as id rather they dont have my card info on hand. Its never once been an issue, and a single purchase from Newegg was made within the first few weeks that met the min spend requirement.

I once had this same concern based on all the 'hype' I've read, but I've been using Amex for Paypal/eBay purchases for a while now with no problems at all.

IMO as long as your purchases are normal you have nothing to worry about.  Smiley Happy

Contributor

Great stuff thanks all for clarifying that up for me.

Hyatt Visa | Chase Freedom | Amex ED | Discover IT Miles | Amex Skymiles Gold | Amex PRG
New Contributor

Anyone ever had an issue when they tried to use amex card to make payment to malaysia seller in paypal, it never lets me choose amex, only mc and visa

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.