cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my current cards vs. applying for store card for a large purchase??

tag
itpromike
New Contributor

Using my current cards vs. applying for store card for a large purchase??

Ok so I'm in the market for a new Apple computer all decked with all the trimmings and it's going to be about $5200'ish. Now I'm usually one to pay in full every month save for a couple of exceptions and my current cards are NFCU ($25K), Amex Blue cash preferred ($24K), Chase Freedom ($5K), and BOA ($5700)  and my scores are below; so heres my questions.... 

1.) I'm definitely not going to be able to pay in full for this one after the first statement... it will probably take me 3 statements to pay it off. How bad is it really if you don't PIF for a large purchase? How bad does it really affect my credit for a large purchase like that to end up on my statement?

2.) I know utilization is a big part of the score however is utilization but is it total utilization accross all cards or is it utilization for each individual card? And would splitting the purchase accross my 2 highest CL cards make a difference at all?

3.) I've never really had a store card before but I was wondering if applying for Apple store credit would be a better option? Not sure how generous or stingy they are with limits. Also not sure if the hit of a hard pull would be worse than high utilization?

Anyway at the end of the day I'm wondering what my best options are given my scores and CL's...

THANKS in advance for any input Smiley Happy

Current Score: TransUnion (820) Equifax (818) Experian (823)
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Using my current cards vs. applying for store card for a large purchase??

@itpromike wrote:

Ok so I'm in the market for a new Apple computer all decked with all the trimmings and it's going to be about $5200'ish. Now I'm usually one to pay in full every month save for a couple of exceptions and my current cards are NFCU ($25K), Amex Blue cash preferred ($24K), Chase Freedom ($5K), and BOA ($5700)  and my scores are below; so heres my questions.... 

1.) I'm definitely not going to be able to pay in full for this one after the first statement... it will probably take me 3 statements to pay it off. How bad is it really if you don't PIF for a large purchase? How bad does it really affect my credit for a large purchase like that to end up on my statement?

2.) I know utilization is a big part of the score however is utilization but is it total utilization accross all cards or is it utilization for each individual card? And would splitting the purchase accross my 2 highest CL cards make a difference at all?

3.) I've never really had a store card before but I was wondering if applying for Apple store credit would be a better option? Not sure how generous or stingy they are with limits. Also not sure if the hit of a hard pull would be worse than high utilization?

Anyway at the end of the day I'm wondering what my best options are given my scores and CL's...

THANKS in advance for any input Smiley Happy

the Store card from what I can tell is just a Plain Visa card with terrible APR% but if use it to finance your MAc you have like 20 months to pay it off with no interest or something. My opinion is specially if your planning to pay it off in 3 months carrying that balance isn't "Bad". Just make sure your other cards report as PIF 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 2 of 13
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

Store credit is a Barclay Card.

Its a high APR after the 0% timeframe, but if youre worried about overall UTIL during those 3 months, its better to open a new card and PIF in 3 months.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/finance/instant_credit

Message 3 of 13
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

not sure about your profile but you can get 9% back with a upromise card and upromise.com

Message 4 of 13
elim
Senior Contributor

does barclays apple card give 0% for apple products purchased anywhere? or only at apple store?

Message 5 of 13
itpromike
New Contributor

@elim wrote:

does barclays apple card give 0% for apple products purchased anywhere? or only at apple store?

Good question I'm not 100% positive but I am pretty sure it's just Apple.com purchases.

Current Score: TransUnion (820) Equifax (818) Experian (823)
Message 6 of 13
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@elim wrote:

I am 99.99% sure it is only at the Apple store and from I read about it when I was buying an iPad in December is only once as well.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 7 of 13
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

• Get 18 months special financing on your first Apple purchase $1,999 and over. If balances are not paid in full within 18 months, interest will be charged from the purchase date. The purchase APR will be 22.99% or 26.99% variable, based on your creditworthiness.
  • Get 12 months special financing on your first Apple purchase between $499 and $1,998. If balances are not paid in full within 12 months, interest will be charged from the purchase date. The purchase APR will be 22.99% or 26.99% variable, based on your creditworthiness.
  • Get 6 months special financing on your first Apple purchase under $499. If balances are not paid in full within 6 months, interest will be charged from the purchase date. The purchase APR will be 22.99% or 26.99% variable, based on your creditworthiness.
  • The purchase APR will be 22.99% or 26.99% variable, based on your creditworthiness. This APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate. See Offer Details below for more detail.

Looked at it again and it says Get Blank special financing on your "First" Apple purchase so to me it sounds like your first purchases at those prices annd thats it. First financing for 6 12 or 18 months and that is it 

Message 8 of 13
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

I would suggest the Best buy Store card since you get points back  and financing of 12 months for the any purchase at Bestbuy no matter what you buy there once you hit the spending threshold of like $150 for 6 months or $399 + for 12 months.  

Amazon has something similar as well and you can use it on purchases on amazon in general

Message 9 of 13
tmbr10
Regular Contributor

Why don't you use one of your cards with a high CL (i.e BCP). if you are fairly confident that you can haveit paid off in 3 months then you get ~5700 points. maybe a hit because of utilization but that will come back in the three months. Personnally, my FICO score tends to like when I carry a small balance as oppossed to PIF on evey card, every month, YMMV.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.