cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my new AMEX Zync like debit card?

tag
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Using my new AMEX Zync like debit card?

In fact, I use all my credit cards this way and pay it full as soon as the statement cuts.

Ron.
Message 11 of 23
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@thrasher865 wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

I read all the time about the dreaded FR from AMEX...I'm not worried b/c I didn't lie on my app. I'm just happy to have even been approved for the card even if it currently is set up with a $500 limit and autopay. I also plan on pushing payments and using it more than just $500 per month, but will that look bad?

This way of thinking is refreshing.  Don't be afraid of the FR.  They are much more rare than these forums would have you believe, and there is nothing wrong with them asking for a little income verification.

Also, using more than the limit each month and PIF will just show them that you need a CLI.  Do this, and then ask for $1500 after 3 months.

I appreciate the good words and advice.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 12 of 23
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

yes, my husband and I no longer use the debit card.  He isn't allowed to take the debit card out of his wallet. rofl.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 13 of 23
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

I'll use mine at an ATM but that is all. My wife on the other hand uses hers for everything and I cannot change that behavior! LOL

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 14 of 23
FrugalRican
Blogger

What's a debit card?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 15 of 23
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

What's a debit card?

bank card/check card.....i just call it debit card.

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't even have a debit card anymore. Cancelled it and replaced it with an ATM card to give me peace of mind that I don't have a number floating around on the visa network linking directly to my checking account.

In return for moving my spending to credit card or paper cash exclusive next month I will have enough miles to fly round trip to europe in economy class just from spending plus the signup bonus. I will have enough cashback on Discover to pre order Titanic on blu ray from amazon. Great rewards just from doing what I used to do with a debit card. Paying in full on my United card, and carrying a balance for some car bills on my discover card at 0% intro APR so I still haven't paid a penny in interest.

I know some people say, and it is actually a proven study that people with rewards cards do spend more than they otherwise would with cash because of our subconsiousness saying every time we walk into a store "The more you spend, the more miles/points/cashback you get" but the opposite has actually happened to me. I spend less with credit cards than I did with a debit card. With a debit card I never really saw in one bunch just how much I spent in a month. With a CC and you get your monthly bill you see just how much you have spent in one month and it can be scary.

For the last 3 months I have been walking to work so saving a bit on gas, and not going out to eat as often so saving money there too. So going credit card exclusive has meant more money in my pocket, plus some nice rewards.

So keep racking up those MR points with your zync and start thinking about what you want to spend your points on.

Message 17 of 23
FrugalRican
Blogger

@j_casteel wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

What's a debit card?

I know what it is. I was just being facetious. Smiley Happy

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 18 of 23
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

I actually think getting rid of the debit card and getting an ATM card is a great idea. I am going to look in to that. I am sure USAA has a regular ATM card...

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 19 of 23
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

What's a debit card?

I know what it is. I was just being facetious. Smiley Happy

i was taught never to assume.

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.