Did you mean: 

Using only 1 card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Using only 1 card

@smc733 wrote:

Hi all,

I am weighing a new idea here, which is to use only 1 card.  I often see people who have problems used many cards, etc...  And while that's all anecdote, I can say that I do feel like I can more easily manage my spending if I use just one card.  I'm not planning to close anything yet, as I will keep at least Amex and Citi around, but I was wondering what everyone thinks of just using my Chase Freedom for everything.  (I would still keep the Amex in my wallet), it would just be an easier way to keep track of everything.

Has anyone tried this?  What do you think?

PS.  Not to mention it would be easier to accumulate rewards this way...

I think your choice is wise.  We have 3 CCs and that's plenty for us.  In looking at this post where folks show how many cards they have, I don't know how they keep up with all that plastic! 

Message 21 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Using only 1 card

For a while I have only wanted to use one card but since my main reward of choice is travel and I can't see holding onto the same travel card for many years. I want to get the Cap One venture, but who knows maybe 3 or 4 years later a different travel card will come out that is better. I have been looking at a no annual fee card like the discover more. One I can just use once or twice every couple of months. Hold onto that one for years to help my AAoA while I can churn through travel cards.

Two cards seem easily manageable and with two you can get cards that compiment each other. Use the Discover More, plus whatever travel card happens to be good at the time.

I would hate to be in a situation where a travel card is your oldest card and having to choose between taking a big credit score hit and paying an annual fee for a card you dont use.

Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.