Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using ritz and Amex plat together?

tag
Lyythine
Established Contributor

Using ritz and Amex plat together?

This may be answered by looking at the terms, but I'm asking here first in case someone has a quick answer.

So Amex plat is running a promotion with ritz Carlton to give a 4th night free. I also have 2 free nights on my ritz account. Can I book on platinum and pay with platinum but use the 2 free nights from my ritz card at the same time?

Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Re: Using ritz and Amex plat together?

No..You'd have the book the 2 free nights seperately...Their system wont let you book 2 free nights and 2 paid nights together.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 2 of 8
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Depends on how it needs to be booked. I'm not familiar with the promotion. If it needs to be booked through FHR, you would have to book the 4 nights through FHR, and the additional 2 nights through ritz direct and make it a 6 night stay (with 3 free nights)

If it needs to be booked through ritz direct, you should be able to book a 6 night stay, using "cash and points" and select the final 2 nights as an award stay.
Message 3 of 8
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

I'm guessing it's a 4th night free offer through Amex FHR?

If it is, then you'll need to book the first 4 nights through Amex FHR. These offers will typically require you to pay using your Amex card as well, so keep that in mind.

Afterwards you'll need to book the other 2 nights directly with the Ritz to use your free night certificates.

In essence you'll probably end up with 2 reservations, but you can ask those to be linked. They'll likely include the 2nd reservation number in the first reservation notes section, so when you're checking in with your Amex FHR rate the front desk will notice you staying a total of 6 nights instead of 4.

I'm not sure if they'll be able to actually combine them into a single reservation with a single number.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 4 of 8
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

If it is, then you'll need to book the first 4 nights through Amex FHR. These offers will typically require you to pay using your Amex card as well, so keep that in mind.

Afterwards you'll need to book the other 2 nights directly with the Ritz to use your free night certificates.

In essence you'll probably end up with 2 reservations, but you can ask those to be linked. They'll likely include the 2nd reservation number in the first reservation notes section, so when you're checking in with your Amex FHR rate the front desk will notice you staying a total of 6 nights instead of 4.

I'm not sure if they'll be able to actually combine them into a single reservation with a single number.

While Marriott/Ritz WOULD be able to combine these reservations (they might do it automatically) I wouldn't go out of my way to get it done, as it may alter the original reservation made through FHR and null the FHR benefits. 

I would simply contact the hotel directly and let them know both reservations are for the same person, and ask that they keep the same room for both, without (if possible) merging the reservations. 

Message 5 of 8
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

While Marriott/Ritz WOULD be able to combine these reservations (they might do it automatically) I wouldn't go out of my way to get it done, as it may alter the original reservation made through FHR and null the FHR benefits. 

I would simply contact the hotel directly and let them know both reservations are for the same person, and ask that they keep the same room for both, without (if possible) merging the reservations. 

I've found that Marriott and Hyatt are generally better about being able to combine reservations. Hilton on the other hand seems to be more technologically challenged in this area, if past experiences has been anything to go by.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 6 of 8
elim
Senior Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

6 nights club level?...   yummy

Message 7 of 8
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@elim wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

6 nights club level?...   yummy

Only if you pay for all 6 nights on club level. FHR does NOT guarantee a club level upgrade. Nor can the Ritz club level upgrade certificated be used in conjunction with either FHR or Free night certificates/points. 

You'd need to book a room on club level through FHR and then see if the hotel will allow you to pay for club level for the 2 free nights. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.