Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using samsung pay and how it impacts credit card protection

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Using samsung pay and how it impacts credit card protection

I want to make a purchase with my samsung pay which is linked to my freedom card. Do I still get the extended warranty benefits of the credit card even though I went through Samsung pay?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Using samsung pay and how it impacts credit card protection

I don't see why not as long as that's the card you are using. Samsung pay is just a 3rd party that makes checkout easier. You are still using that card. But that's what terms and conditions are for. I find that not many people actually read them when they get their cards. I do so that I am aware of stuff like this. But you can always call in and ask a CSR if you don't feel like reading all of that as well. Preferably I like to read them so that I may not make some stupid mistake through some loophole or another on whichever card it may be. And also am able to learn certain unique features to each of my cards that I may not have been aware of precious to reading the terms and conditions . Someone on here may be able to chime in and give you the answer you're looking for but that's jusy my .02.

Message 2 of 6
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259wrote:

I want to make a purchase with my samsung pay which is linked to my freedom card. Do I still get the extended warranty benefits of the credit card even though I went through Samsung pay?

Not exactly the same but I used android pay when i purchased a new monitor at Best Buy , it shows up as mobile wallet purchase . I don't see why it woudnt be covered by my visa signature extended warranty.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 6
red259
Super Contributor

@mongstradamuswrote:

@red259wrote:

Not exactly the same but I used android pay when i purchased a new monitor at Best Buy , it shows up as mobile wallet purchase . I don't see why it woudnt be covered by my visa signature extended warranty.

yea I went ahead and made the purchase today. Chase was kind enough to decline the purchase as a potential fraud and I had to call in while standing at the counter. I get that they need to watch out for fraud but you offer a bonus on using samsung pay and someone uses samsung pay at a store in their own neighborhood maybe they could send a text fraud alert or something like some other banks do (saying respond yes if you made this purchase) instead of just declining and forcing me to call in while the cashier looks at me as a deadbeat? Just a thought. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 4 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@red259wrote:

@mongstradamuswrote:

@red259wrote:

yea I went ahead and made the purchase today. Chase was kind enough to decline the purchase as a potential fraud and I had to call in while standing at the counter. I get that they need to watch out for fraud but you offer a bonus on using samsung pay and someone uses samsung pay at a store in their own neighborhood maybe they could send a text fraud alert or something like some other banks do (saying respond yes if you made this purchase) instead of just declining and forcing me to call in while the cashier looks at me as a deadbeat? Just a thought. 

If I had a Chase Freedom I would be using S.Pay for everything I could, but since I don't I've actually slacked off since the Samsung Rewards program has been double-nerfed.

I had/have issues with various cards, though... for example, at Walmart using any Amex will consistently result in a 'decline' the first try, but then on the second try it is approved.  (This is any Amex from any bank... I detailed my saga here.)  There are other 'quirks' as well, but getting false decline messages did get old, especially when it wasn't the bank but a 'glitch' in the terminal/MST signal.  Smiley Frustrated

I'm glad your issue was with Chase and they were able to easily clear it up.  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I recall the T&C from the SamPay app and the faq on chase.com correctly ALL product benefits perks and rewards remain unchanged. Goes for both my CSP and the wife's freedom. You'll be offered all the same protection as a physical swipe.

@uncleB yeah the points nerf sucks, once I saw the news of the upcoming reduction a while back I cashed out all my points for a handful of $50 cards. The reduction doesn't change my usage frequency at all though, I use SamPay for the convenience factor (often paying while holding a small child on one arm) & security buffer against skimming. The rewards points are an entirely secondary and unintentional bonus. Didn't realize they existed until a week or two after starting to use it.

Honestly with the amount of people in my life in the iMessage ecosystem I'd switch to an iPhone already except ApplePay lacks the crucial MST chip that makes SamPay the killer wallet app that it is.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.