Did you mean: 

Util as an AU

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Util as an AU

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Yes, if you're an AU on any particual account that reports to your CRs, utilization will be factored into yours as well.

So what do you recommend before apping then?

Should they pay down their cards? (for that 1% util)

Aside from Utility, does the account have along history (20+ years) and perfect payment history?  If so, just ask if the person can bring the Utility down to around 5% to maximize your scores before you app.  Ideally, what you want is a computer generated auto-approval.

Based on your profile, I see no harm in app'ing for a card you want.  Even if you were declined, it's a good use of an HP to see where you stand with certain creditors.  App'ing is the only way to know if you'll be approved, the rest is pure conjecture.  In my view, I'd rather app for a card I want, and not get it; than, not app, and wonder if I could have gotten it.

Credit, as with all things in life, be bold and aggressive.  Leave fear and doubt to the birds.

Good luck!

Message 11 of 12
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Util as an AU

@kdm31091 wrote:
Just like all of us you need to give it time and patience. Build a history with your OWN starter cards.

I agree with this if a person is rebuilding from a recent BK and/or major derogs.  No one will extend credit to a person with a recent history of not meeting his financial obgliations.

However, this is entirely different for a person new or just building credit.  In this case, with no derogs (or, history of not paying his bills), it pays to open up TLs faster to set the foundation for quality TLs.  Of course, this doesn't mean app for anything, but be selective with those Issuers one finds the most useful and valuable.  Simply put, HPs aren't meaningful in a new CR (they disappear in 2 years), and should be used to see where one stands.  If after a couple of declines, use this as an opportunity for a free hard copy credit report and to recon with the Issuer and find out what needs to be fixed or improved.  Once a perosn knows what to fix, then go about fixing it in as short of a time as possible.  

Then, in 6 months, when it's fixed, app again when a card is commensurate with need/value.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.