cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Util percentages here vs. Other Credit Help Websites

tag
bwflorida

Util percentages here vs. Other Credit Help Websites

Many in this forum recommend util in the 5% to 9% range . . . but several other credit help websites recommend keeping util less than 30%. Just wondering why there's such a big difference.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Re: Util percentages here vs. Other Credit Help Websites

@bwflorida wrote:

Many in this forum recommend util in the 5% to 9% range . . . but several other credit help websites recommend keeping util less than 30%. Just wondering why there's such a big difference.

Because the sweet spot where you get the highest FICO scoring is by having your utilization low....I have actually heard 1% on one card will get you the best FICO score, but that's another story.  So if you stay between 5% to 9% then your FICO scores should rank close to your highest obtainable score.  The higher your utilization the lower your score can dip by up to 50 points or more.

For some people the higher utilization won't bother them especially if they are not applying for credit anytime soon, although some creditors may not look at that positively either.  I guess your utilization that you care to report is really dependent on your plans for the future.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 2 of 10
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@bwflorida wrote:

Hey bwflorida!  Welcome to the forums!

the reason for the disparity in the recommended utility % is because most on this site are seeking optimal FICO score tweaking.  Really though, if you can keep your utility below the recommended 30%, you are doing yourself a favor.  The lower the utility, the better- with only 1 account showing a balance.  Lenders want to know you use your credit wisely.  Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 3 of 10
Jutz
Valued Contributor

I believe that below 30% there is a diminished return, but for those of us looking to squeeze every point possible out of our scores, we'll take diminished return over no return

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 4 of 10
distantarray
Established Contributor

This is Bobwang's from Creditboards chart on Fico scores, I believe it to be accurate cause I was able to squeeze 758 out of my scores with only 14 months of history.

most people's sweet spot is around 2% reporting on 1 card with Fico it seems. Can't really argue with the guy since he has one of the highest EQ Fico04 scores.

(with Fico04  850 is probably impossible, Experian 04 score (if that's what was sold on myfico.com in 2009) reported high as 844 but EQ scores always lagged far behind.  Even the Fico president ceo reported not having a 800+ credit score in 2009, people reporting 850's are generally Fico08 which is more lenient on scoring aka Walmart Fico)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 5 of 10
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Just realized I had only my Walmart reporting and it closes in two days with $0 balance.  We'll see how 0% UTIL affects the score.  God knows if I buy something with it today it won't clear until after the statement cuts.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 6 of 10
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@Jutz wrote:

Just realized I had only my Walmart reporting and it closes in two days with $0 balance.  We'll see how 0% UTIL affects the score.  God knows if I buy something with it today it won't clear until after the statement cuts.

+1

Lord have mercy, what type of antiquated system do they have?  Possibly one of the worse I have seen.  They take forever to post a payment and forever to post a purchase.  I mean I love shopping at Wally's and Sam's but if you want to keep your utilization good you gotta time it just right with them.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 7 of 10
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

@Jutz wrote:

+1

Lord have mercy, what type of antiquated system do they have?  Possibly one of the worse I have seen.  They take forever to post a payment and forever to post a purchase.  I mean I love shopping at Wally's and Sam's but if you want to keep your utilization good you gotta time it just right with them.

Yeah, Duncan planned out a schedule for a realistic timeline of purchase + payment, and you can basically only use your card for half the month if you want to be sure you can control what reports.

Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 8 of 10
p-
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

This is Bobwang's from Creditboards chart on Fico scores...

Wow, that was sweet.  Thanks!

Message 9 of 10
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

Judging from that chart, a 2-4% utilization seems to be the sweet spot with a true sliding scale.  I don't see in the chart anything on the number of the cards but BobWangs website may have additional information.  Nor does is it indicate how many cards the example users have, nor their credit limits.  Not using your credit or having no credit cards also seems to be counter productive.  Personally, I want to get my utilization down to about 1%, considering my current credit limit total is about 94k.  Not for optimal scoring but for personal financial health.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.