Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Util question...

tag
Jmc70
Valued Member

Util question...

I was just approved for a Jared card with a CL of $5100.  Will this factor into my overall utilization being that it is a store card and not a major cc (i.e. AMEX, MC, VISA)?

My current util is right around 33%- if this new Jared card counts it will drop me below 20% assuming I keep it really close to a zero balance.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: Util question...

Yes, it will be used in your util calculation. This is exactly like GEMB/JCP store cards.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 2 of 3
tpatterson2k9
Regular Contributor

Re: Util question...

Yes, store cards factor into your overall util just like any other CC would.  The drop to 20% util is nice, but to see the best impact on your scores you would want your util below 9% overall.  Also, scores improve more if all but one CC has a balance of $0 with the remaining CC having a balance between 1 to 9% of the util.

Starting Scores (lender pull 3/27/10): 759 (EQ), 752 (TU), 749 (EX)
Current Scores (myFICO 4/4/11): 768 (EQ)
Goal Scores: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.