cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization Percentage Help

tag
AndyJB2005

Utilization Percentage Help

Sorry for the newbie question but here it goes.

I have 3 revolving credit cards: Washington Mutual, Capitol One, and a Target Store Card (non-visa). I'm very close to $0 balance on all of them (within $300 on each). My EQ score is now 647 according to Score Watch.

My question is this: when they say you should have 10% (?) of revolving credit being used, do they mean on each credit card or is that all 3 of mine total. I'm trying very hard to get my score up to a good level, and paying them off is going to help a lot (I hope!). I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing and know how much to charge and pay off to reflect being responsible to these people. 

Thanks for the help! :-)

Starting Score: 655
Current Score: 745
Goal Score: 800
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Utilization Percentage Help

AndyJB2005 wrote:
Also, I was thinking -- maybe I could just rotate which one of the 3 has 1-3% between the three every 3 months so they don't close them? Is that wise?

This would be a smart move. You don't have to do it every month, every few months would be fine. Its really up to you. Keep in mind that almost all CCCs report your statement balances, so to avoid having balances reporting, pay your CC bills 3-5 days before their statement dates. You won't pay any interest too.

Message 6 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forums!

Please read the closing credit cards link in my sig line to understand how both individual and overall utilization are calculated. As for the number cards reporting a balance, I would keep a balance of only 1-3% on one card. The other two cards should report $0 balances for max FICO points.

Message 2 of 6
AndyJB2005

Thanks for the help! Sounds good to me.

One more thing: does it matter whether it is the Target Store Card or the regular credit cards that is used for the 1-3%? 

Thanks so much again for your help. :-)

Message 3 of 6
AndyJB2005

Also, I was thinking -- maybe I could just rotate which one of the 3 has 1-3% between the three every 3 months so they don't close them? Is that wise?
Message 4 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I would let a major card report a balance; a Visa, MC, Discover or Amex would do.
Message 5 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

AndyJB2005 wrote:

This would be a smart move. You don't have to do it every month, every few months would be fine. Its really up to you. Keep in mind that almost all CCCs report your statement balances, so to avoid having balances reporting, pay your CC bills 3-5 days before their statement dates. You won't pay any interest too.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.