Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization Question

tag
Emdee_MD
New Contributor

Utilization Question

When determining utilization, is that for only revolving credit? (i.e. store, and credit cards). Or do installment loans apply to this as well? I closed on my house in Aug of 2012; with a ~230,000 mortgage, which has a balance of ~224k remaining. Is that going to effect my utilization and hurt my chances when applying for cards when I finish gardening? Or is that viewed differently. Currently my revolving credit limits are at 28% util but the majority of that is on 1 card making that card 80%. My goal is to get my util down sub 10% by november so I can see where I stand and app for 1 more card, and get some CLI's. 

NFCU Flagship - 24k; CapOne Venture - 12k; Chase Slate - 9k; Chase Sapphire - 7.5k; NFCU NavChek - 5k; Amex BCE - 6.5k; Discover IT - 6k; BarClays - 9k;
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Utilization Question

Utilization % only counts revolving accounts...  You will however, see a bump as installment loans are paid down.  I'm not an expert on this, but feel free to check out the Understanding your FICO Forum for more details!

Welcome to the MyFICO forum!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 3
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Re: Utilization Question

@Emdee_MD wrote:

When determining utilization, is that for only revolving credit? (i.e. store, and credit cards). Or do installment loans apply to this as well? I closed on my house in Aug of 2012; with a ~230,000 mortgage, which has a balance of ~224k remaining. Is that going to effect my utilization and hurt my chances when applying for cards when I finish gardening? Or is that viewed differently. Currently my revolving credit limits are at 28% util but the majority of that is on 1 card making that card 80%. My goal is to get my util down sub 10% by november so I can see where I stand and app for 1 more card, and get some CLI's. 

I think utilization only factors in revolving accounts. Since installment loans are not revolving, it should not be counted. 

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.