Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization Question

tag
elm84
Contributor

Utilization Question

This may be odd but I am not understanding and also rebuilding credit from Medical bills which I am in process of PFD now... I was approved for Capital One Secured card with $200 Limit. Once I receive the card I am planning to add an additional $300 to make my limit $500 and use it for gas and food while I am in school. If i don't add the $300 I spend around $100-$150 on gas (my car gets 11mpg, I am trying to buy a new car) should i pay it a few days after I use it to help with Ulitization or just pay bill before due? I also have 2 good loans showing pays as agreed on my credit which are current student loans.. So I have revolving accounts to go with this one. I pay $10 a month to help with interest on loans even though it isn't due til i finish school. I guess what I am asking is the way I am seeing Utilization is you should only use 10% or less and 10% of $200 is $20 and that won't fill my tank lol.. I just am rebuilding and I can pay balance in full monthly I just dont want to make any more credit mistakes.

Gardening what I got til Holiday Season 2014
Hoping for a couple 1k+ cards one day
Capital One Secured 300 | Capital One Platinum 300 | Discover It Secured 200 | First Premier 400 | Finger Hut 500 | Victoria Secret 350 | Express 250 |
Dream Cards | Discover It | Chase Sapphire - Slate - Freedom | Amex Everyday Card

Scores | Starting 09/2013 ~ 574 | Current ~ 600 | Goal ~ 720 |
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Re: Utilization Question

if that is your only card, i would let a balance report no more than 10 percent...so use it to full and pay down...only letting a small amount actually report Smiley Happy remember...statement due date is different from cut off date...Smiley Happy

ie: statement due date is the 3rd of each month...cut off date could be 3 days after statement date (capone is usually 3 days)...so if you paid down your balance on the 3rd to 10 bucks but use 200 on the 4th, 5th, or 6th, your reported balance could still be 210...so wait til your cc actually reports then use it again Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 2 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@djc1puno wrote:

if that is your only card, i would let a balance report no more than 10 percent...so use it to full and pay down...only letting a small amount actually report Smiley Happy remember...statement due date is different from cut off date...Smiley Happy

ie: statement due date is the 3rd of each month...cut off date could be 3 days after statement date (capone is usually 3 days)...so if you paid down your balance on the 3rd to 10 bucks but use 200 on the 4th, 5th, or 6th, your reported balance could still be 210...so wait til your cc actually reports then use it again Smiley Happy

+1 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@elm84 wrote:

If i don't add the $300 I spend around $100-$150 on gas (my car gets 11mpg, I am trying to buy a new car) should i pay it a few days after I use it to help with Ulitization or just pay bill before due?

Paying before the due date only keeps your account current.  If you want to reduce utilization you have to pay prior to statement close.  The balance at statement close is what is reported to the CRA's.  Paying after close will not reduce utilization for that statement period.

@elm84 wrote:

I guess what I am asking is the way I am seeing Utilization is you should only use 10% or less and 10% of $200 is $20 and that won't fill my tank lol.

You can use whatever you want.  You only want 10% to report.  There's an important distinction there.  Some prefer just to keep their utilization low by controlling usage but you can also pay prior to statement close to reduce reported utilization.

Message 4 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

+1 remember you can use as much as you want. Just pay so that when statement cuts, it reflects what amount you want it to. And you really only to be on top of this before you are planning to apply for credit so that your score can be as high as possible
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 5 of 10
elm84
Contributor

So if I understand this right just make sure when statement prints it shows a balance of $10 or less Even if I have used and paid off already
Gardening what I got til Holiday Season 2014
Hoping for a couple 1k+ cards one day
Capital One Secured 300 | Capital One Platinum 300 | Discover It Secured 200 | First Premier 400 | Finger Hut 500 | Victoria Secret 350 | Express 250 |
Dream Cards | Discover It | Chase Sapphire - Slate - Freedom | Amex Everyday Card

Scores | Starting 09/2013 ~ 574 | Current ~ 600 | Goal ~ 720 |
Message 6 of 10
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Not ten dollars, ten percent - so in your case, it would be $20 or less reporting on your statement balance for maximum utilization.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 7 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita
Message 8 of 10
Startome
Regular Contributor

I spend about 20 a month on my CCs, and make a 20 dollar or so payment on each about a week or two before the statement cut date. I leave about 5 dollars on there from month to month to give me some kind of low util. I based that off advice from people here on the forum, and is working well =)

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 9 of 10
ukrboy30

elm84, can you explain how you go about leaving balance on your statement so that it reports 1-9%?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.