cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization andlt Interest Rates

tag
Kfaircred

Utilization andlt Interest Rates

Alright, I've been reading and reading and reading in the util threads and can't seem to find my answer, so...I am currently right at maxed out on util (98.7%) with 3 cards totaling to $8,150 total credit ($8046.97 balance). Among the three, the highest balance is actually about $150 ABOVE the limit on the card, so that card specifically is OVER 100% util, however it has the lowest interest rate. Another card with the highest interest rate is second highest in its respective util. I am trying to ultimately get my util way down to about 25% across the board, but at the moment I am struggling to decide between paying down the card with the higher interest rate and moving on to the other card after or to pay the 1st down until it is back below the limit, despite it having the lowest int. rate. Is util calculated per card at all or just as lump figures?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Utilization andlt Interest Rates

@Kfaircred wrote:
Alright, I've been reading and reading and reading in the util threads and can't seem to find my answer, so...I am currently right at maxed out on util (98.7%) with 3 cards totaling to $8,150 total credit ($8046.97 balance). Among the three, the highest balance is actually about $150 ABOVE the limit on the card, so that card specifically is OVER 100% util, however it has the lowest interest rate. Another card with the highest interest rate is second highest in its respective util. I am trying to ultimately get my util way down to about 25% across the board, but at the moment I am struggling to decide between paying down the card with the higher interest rate and moving on to the other card after or to pay the 1st down until it is back below the limit, despite it having the lowest int. rate. Is util calculated per card at all or just as lump figures?

Both.

Message 2 of 5
parkman
Regular Contributor

I would definitely pay down the one that's over limit first. You don't want the lender to impose a penalty APR on you for being over. Once you get it before the limit, jump on your highest APR, get that down to 0, rinse, repeat.

Also, you may want to call the card that's over and let them know that yes you're over limit, but that you'll may a payment or two to get it below limit, just so that they know you're good for it. 

All I have for this forum is bubblegum and anecdotal evidence, and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Message 3 of 5
compassion101
Established Contributor

@parkman wrote:

I would definitely pay down the one that's over limit first. You don't want the lender to impose a penalty APR on you for being over. Once you get it before the limit, jump on your highest APR, get that down to 0, rinse, repeat.

Also, you may want to call the card that's over and let them know that yes you're over limit, but that you'll may a payment or two to get it below limit, just so that they know you're good for it. 

+1 call them and tell them you're sending in a payment. Try t oget them to waive the over-the-limit fee if they have imposed one already. Then work on the highest interest rate. Use cash only for a while. You can get out of this, bro

Message 4 of 5
parkman
Regular Contributor

Credit-bro or credit-sis Smiley Happy
All I have for this forum is bubblegum and anecdotal evidence, and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.