cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization at 40% but I pay my balance in full.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utilization at 40% but I pay my balance in full.

It took me 2 years, but I went from the low 500's to 695 (oh so close).  I haven't paid a single penny in finance charges for 2 years because I pay my cards down twice a month (15th and the 1st).

My credit card (HSBC Platinum) has a 3k limit, but I spend close to 5-6k a month on it (travel expenses and what not).  So I charge, pay, charge, pay.  I always have a zero balance within days of my statement posting.

So I went to go check my credit report and my credit usage is being reported as a NEGATIVE.  They're stating that I have a high utilization somewhere in the neighborhood of 40% (I have a total of 7k available credit across 4 cards).

How is that possible when I've been running a zero balance for 2 years?  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Utilization at 40% but I pay my balance in full.

@Anonymous wrote:

How is that possible when I've been running a zero balance for 2 years?  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

Yep, HSBC reports to the CRA's at different times of the month depending on the card. I learned this yesterday. It could be you PIF before the statement cuts, the statement shows a zero balance, but they report what your balance is a week later. This is how they report my card.

Now that I know my HSBC/Orchard reports on the last day of the month, I make sure I have zero on the card the last few days so it keeps reporting a zero balance.  

Message 2 of 7
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Mochaboy wrote:

It took me 2 years, but I went from the low 500's to 695 (oh so close).  I haven't paid a single penny in finance charges for 2 years because I pay my cards down twice a month (15th and the 1st).

My credit card (HSBC Platinum) has a 3k limit, but I spend close to 5-6k a month on it (travel expenses and what not).  So I charge, pay, charge, pay.  I always have a zero balance within days of my statement posting.

So I went to go check my credit report and my credit usage is being reported as a NEGATIVE.  They're stating that I have a high utilization somewhere in the neighborhood of 40% (I have a total of 7k available credit across 4 cards).

Thanks in advance.

Timing is everything, when it comes to paying your cc's and your FICO scores! Smiley Wink

If you're paying your cc's in full after receiving your statement (as most normal people do), then that's what's tripping you up, score-wise, because what's getting reported to the CRA's is most likely your balance as of your statement date, and if you use up a good chunk of your credit limit each month, then that reported balance is going to give you a higher util and a lower FICO score as a result.  The scoring algorithm has no way to know that you PIF after you get your statement; it only sees the balances as reported by the CCC and calculates from that.

Most CCCs report your account balance as of your statement date, and most do the actual reporting to the credit bureaus ON your statement date as well (a few exceptions).

So, in general you can gain max FICO points by gearing your cc paying habits to your statement dates and/or account reporting dates (usually one and the same, but different in a few cases such as AmEx, US Bank and 1 or 2 others) to control the reported balances on your CR's and therefore your utiliization (debt-to-available credit ratio), since low util makes for happy FICO scores.

The trick is to either PIF before your statement/reporting date every month or to pay down to a tiny percentage of your overall credit limit (all zero balances can actually hurt your scores, so it pays to let at least one report a balance, unless you only have 1 or 2 cc's), let that tiny percentage report, then PIF once your statement cuts to avoid paying any interest. 

Hope this helps.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

With Amex, I use to charge, then go home and pay it off.  I did not carry a balance for more than three days, from start to finish.

Yet, with each month reporting, they claimed I had a balance.  (argh!)

Come to learn that Amex takes the total amount charged for the month -- even if it's paid off immediately and there is a zero balance due when the statement cuts or when they report -- and they report that amount.

Have you thought about asking for CLI?

Do you earn rewards/points/cashback on your card?  Could you easily switch to using cash to pay for the purchases?

Let us know! 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Most CCCs report your account balance as of your statement date, and most do the actual reporting to the credit bureaus ON your statement date as well (a few exceptions)."

I am trying to find out when my USAA, Discover Card and BofA report - any way to find this out?

I'm especially interested in USAA.  I called them and the rep couldn't tell me, said it was at different times, didn't know when.

Any one know this info?

Message 5 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

pjohnston2 wrote:

"Most CCCs report your account balance as of your statement date, and most do the actual reporting to the credit bureaus ON your statement date as well (a few exceptions)."

I am trying to find out when my USAA, Discover Card and BofA report - any way to find this out?

I'm especially interested in USAA.  I called them and the rep couldn't tell me, said it was at different times, didn't know when.

Any one know this info?

I have all 3, and for me they each faithfully report to the CRA's on the statement date, reporting any balance that shows.

As to when the CRA's get around to updating your reports, that's another matter. For most of us, EX updates within 24 hours, and TU and EQ trade roles as the lollygaggers, showing up 4-7 days later.

But whatever you have showing as your balance due on each month's statement, that's what BofA, Discover, and USAA should be reporting.

edited to add Discover --missed it first time through
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 02-25-2009 05:28 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks HTSU, that's exactly the info I was looking for!

I want to apply for a loan but my utilization on my USAA is super high.  I wanted to work out when I needed to pay it down - give USAA time to report - give CRA time to update and viola, apply.

Cheers!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.