Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization questions and a question about secured cc

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utilization questions and a question about secured cc

Hello Smiley Happy

I opened up a wells fargo secured cc last month with a $300 limit. Will this really help my credit any if I keep the balances low and pay on time? on average how long does an account take before it's not considered new anymore? I'm hoping it'll help raise my scores a little, right now I'm in the mid 500s but I'm shooting for at least 620 a year from now.

Another question... My fiance has a couple cc's that are in his moms name and he is an authorized user. He's been on them forever, and they are older accounts. Besides those the only things on his credit report are charge offs and other bad stuff. The problem with the authorized ccs is that although his mom pays them on time, they are all more than half way to their limit. He has no control over paying them down, and she won't listen to us if we explain the whole util. thing. She's doesn't like to talk about her money with anyone. So would it be better for his credit to be taken off the accounts or left on? I'm not sure what to do because he doesn't have any of his own positive history, and we're worried if he getes taken off those accounts it'll look bad on the credit score because of their age. But we're also worried that since she gets so close to the limits on them, that could be hurting his score more. What option is best?

Also, we were thinking about getting him a secured cc in his name and carrying a small balance on it to try and raise his scores, is this a good idea?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
oracles
Valued Contributor

Re: Utilization questions and a question about secured cc

Hi Scubagirl

First-

Yes the  card will help your scores. At first you will take a ding for a new TL and also for the inq but you will recoup these point over time. The card will dilute any baddies you currently have on your report. The new account will go away after 1 year. This card will also help with util% if the balance is kept very low.

Second-

I  would first tell your fiance to start to clean up his report. Do some goodwill letters or PFD's.

Afterwards I would definitely get a secured card from BofA. This will help with util% and it will unsecure in 9-12 months. You will be playing with the big boys now. I also think he should take himself off of his mother's cards if they are constantly reaching the limit of the card. Remember util% is 30% of your total fico score. It also makes other lenders think you are in over your head with debt. I also would get a store card that is easy to get, i.e. macys card.

The most important step is to clean his reports.

hope this helps and keep us updated

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.