Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization's HUGE impact.

tag
Exonumist
Established Contributor

Utilization's HUGE impact.

So I got a letter from Capital One today from a cli request. They denied because I've had one within the last six months, but my question has more to do with utilization. The score they gave me was only a 680 on EQ. That's such a huge score difference that at first I was afraid something might be going on with my report. I just checked and it's fine. They used an old soft pull from May when I had about  17% utilization and my Freedom had just reported. Before now all the scores I have gotten have been with very low utilization (under 5%). Is it really making that huge of a difference in my score or are they just not using a FICO score? If it weren't $20 I would just buy one on here to verify. The 724 in my sig is pretty old. It's really confusing as every other lender that has sent me a score for whatever reason has been around 750. If it is a FICO why such a huge difference just over utilization? Especially when it's under 20%.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Slab
Frequent Contributor

Re: Utilization's HUGE impact.

Until you have your FICO score in front of you, it will be hard to determine what is going on. My Credit Karma consistently shows a much lower score than My FICo Transunion. A 41 point difference. Whatever credit reporting agency you are basing your score on could be somewhat different than your FICO score that Capitol One is using.

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 2 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Default4 wrote:

So I got a letter from Capital One today from a cli request. They denied because I've had one within the last six months, but my question has more to do with utilization. The score they gave me was only a 680 on EQ. That's such a huge score difference that at first I was afraid something might be going on with my report. I just checked and it's fine. They used an old soft pull from May when I had about  17% utilization and my Freedom had just reported. Before now all the scores I have gotten have been with very low utilization (under 5%). Is it really making that huge of a difference in my score or are they just not using a FICO score? If it weren't $20 I would just buy one on here to verify. The 724 in my sig is pretty old. It's really confusing as every other lender that has sent me a score for whatever reason has been around 750. If it is a FICO why such a huge difference just over utilization? Especially when it's under 20%.

Did the letter from Cap1 explicitly state that the score was a FICO score, and did it have a scoring range?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 5
kroberts67
Established Contributor

I was told by a rep there that if they have a score form the last 60 days, they will use that.  I have yet to see them use a current score for me.  I'm waiting over 60 days for the next request so I'm assured they pull a new one.  They've always been matching my FICO to the mark (although always old scores).

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 4 of 5
Exonumist
Established Contributor

It does not specify that it's a Fico, but it is a range of 300-850. All that it has is the source as Equifax Information Services. I just can't believe that 17% utilization over a couple of cards would have that much of an impact. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.