Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VERIFY IDENTITY Question?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

VERIFY IDENTITY Question?

Is there a big reason why cards have you do this is there something that pops up on your CC that gives them a warning to check your identity. I notice in my recent application spree 3 CC companies asked for me to verify identity?

Message Edited by mjbfan79 on 08-02-2008 02:19 PM
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: VERIFY IDENTITY Question?

are they finally doing , for the longest while to open a deposit account online they ask you questions based on your credit report , but not for credit cards ? doesn't make sense
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

rbbyrbsn wrote:
are they finally doing , for the longest while to open a deposit account online they ask you questions based on your credit report , but not for credit cards ? doesn't make sense

When i applied for a Hooters card they did this i asked them why i was told there is allot of identity theft going on in your area.
Message 3 of 10
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

I think Hooters explaination is bogus! I live in South Florida - the single worst place in the entire U.S. for identity theft and have recently applied for cards from BofA (pre-app), PedFed and Discover (pre-app) and not one of them asked me for any proof of anything I put on my application, including identity, address, income or anything else. There is another explaination and I have no idea what it is. Could be age, length of residence, length of employment, quality of credit report or something else. Only put it on you app if it is true> If it is true there should not be any problem substantiating it.

It just occurs to me that another reason may be... APPY SPREE!

Banks are required to positively verify your identity under the Patriot Act when you open a deposit account.

Message Edited by jmbfl on 08-02-2008 03:00 PM
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

jmbfl wrote:
I think Hooters explaination is bogus! I live in South Florida - the single worst place in the entire U.S. for identity theft and have recently applied for cards from BofA (pre-app), PedFed and Discover (pre-app) and not one of them asked me for any proof of anything I put on my application, including identity, address, income or anything else. There is another explaination and I have no idea what it is. Could be age, length of residence, length of employment, quality of credit report or something else. Only put it on you app if it is true> If it is true there should not be any problem substantiating it.

It just occurs to me that another reason may be... APPY SPREE!

Banks are required to positively verify your identity under the Patriot Act when you open a deposit account.

Message Edited by jmbfl on 08-02-2008 03:00 PM

Wal-Mart an Sam's did me the same way. I applied for Sam's in the store an had to verify over the phone with the customer service rep.
Message 5 of 10
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

I have no problem with that whatsoever. It is for your protection!
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

jmbfl wrote:
I have no problem with that whatsoever. It is for your protection!

O no i don't have a problem with it but it makes me think they only do that with people with low scores.
Message 7 of 10
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

They do it with anybody they feel they need to do it with. No one knows when or whom except them. I will tell you it is my opinion that you have a lesser chance of being asked to document things if your application is approved automatically rather that being considered manually. If I was a credit analyst and I wanted to protect my job I'd ask almost everyone for documentation.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been asked the last 3 times I applied for CC(instant approval). With my Sams card I had to go to the store and show my ID. They ask a few questions based on your CR and a few other personal questions. I think it's a good idea if that will keep someone from stealing my identity.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

l9ikjam wrote:
I have been asked the last 3 times I applied for CC(instant approval). With my Sams card I had to go to the store and show my ID. They ask a few questions based on your CR and a few other personal questions. I think it's a good idea if that will keep someone from stealing my identity.

I understand it just slows down the application process.

Message Edited by mjbfan79 on 08-03-2008 08:01 AM
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.