Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VERY very DISAPPOINTED in MACY'S

tag
creditguy-378
Regular Contributor

VERY very DISAPPOINTED in MACY'S

So I've been reading all the bad stuff that Macy's has been doing lately I didn't really mind that they didn't report a limit because I only use the card to buy gifts for my family friends throughout the year and something for me and the wife we loved the dis.. we get and always pay it off in 2-3 months ,but TODAY went to buy something and had to talk to the credit department to get approved, and according to them it is now standard for the employee to call the credit department every time to get an approval!!!!!!!!! can you believe that????? not only is that embarrassing and time consuming it's just rude to do that to a customer anyways got home and found out they hard pulled my credit!!!!!!!!! that was the very last straw I called them and asked why they hard pulled me and they said that is what they do now when you swipe the card at the store so you can get approved because there isn't a credit limit anymore I told them that is obserd what's the point of the card they said well if you buy online we don't pull it well at least they agreed to delete the hard pull!!!!!!! I will be closing the store card after I pay it off my wife's macy's amex is good enough for the dis.. just wanted to let everyone know this!!!!!!!!

always use credit wisely and you won't ever feel like you're working just for the task master
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Re: VERY very DISAPPOINTED in MACY'S

Yes, there's a thread or two discussing this topic from about a week or so ago.  It was a lengthy topic discussed by many members.

Message 2 of 10
aftermath
Established Contributor

Oh what?!?!

Someone over at Macy's has their head stuck up their "you know what".

Who the hell made it a policy to pull a credit report everytime you make a transaction.

I've got a theory... they brought in a new hot shot exec who has absolutely NO idea about credit what-so-ever and he/she started to implement all these new policies and ideas according to "business logic" instead of actual facts.

Something similar happened to me back in college.  I worked at a major retail chain computer store.  Our current General Manager retired and his replacement was a former manager over at Home Depot.  Everyone was like **bleep**?!  But we were assured that business is business and it didn't matter the type of products experience a manager had, that it was all "business" and that he has plenty of "business" experience.  Needless to say, within a year, they had to shut down that location because it suffered huge profit losses.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lucky for me I applied for a Macy's card and was approved in store just last weekend before I found out they were doing this.  I would have never applied had I know.  Hopefully I get the Amex!  They discussed this on another board and a Macy's employee chimmed in and said that this is now temporary, and new changes will be taking affect in a couple of weeks.  Who knows what the changes will be, or if that is even true.  I assume it is because I can't imagine anyone being happy about it.....they are probably tired of the calls from people angry as a result of this.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This whole Macy's thingy sounds more like there's a database disconnect going on. They're probably overhauling/porting (or shifting to some other creditor?) their database or backend or whatever.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad to hear from a few sources that this store card issue is temporary.

I still subscribe to the theory that this has something to do with GEMB now handling the Macy's card.  Or some other such change.

We just finished the first quarter of the year, and the transition may be upon us.

I'm not happy with not knowing my CLI or GLI or whatever; but I think I'll use my card a little and sit cool for the duration of the month.

That's pretty much my pattern anyway - use it a little on some months; not at all on most months.  Always PIF.

I'm betting there's no use in fretting and that we'll soon be getting something that makes a lot more sense.  Smiley Indifferent

And I'm a little more worried about life's other intricacies for the time being.......Like how much plastic surgery can Simon Cowell endure?!?  Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 10
aftermath
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I still subscribe to the theory that this has something to do with GEMB now handling the Macy's card.  Or some other such change.

We just finished the first quarter of the year, and the transition may be upon us.

I'm not happy with not knowing my CLI or GLI or whatever; but I think I'll use my card a little and sit cool for the duration of the month.

That's pretty much my pattern anyway - use it a little on some months; not at all on most months.  Always PIF.

I'm betting there's no use in fretting and that we'll soon be getting something that makes a lot more sense.  Smiley Indifferent

And I'm a little more worried about life's other intricacies for the time being.......Like how much plastic surgery can Simon Cowell endure?!?  Smiley Very Happy

Even though it means a hard pull each time like what the OP experienced?

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 7 of 10
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@creditguy-378 wrote:

So I've been reading all the bad stuff that Macy's has been doing lately I didn't really mind that they didn't report a limit because I only use the card to buy gifts for my family friends throughout the year and something for me and the wife we loved the dis.. we get and always pay it off in 2-3 months ,but TODAY went to buy something and had to talk to the credit department to get approved, and according to them it is now standard for the employee to call the credit department every time to get an approval!!!!!!!!! can you believe that????? not only is that embarrassing and time consuming it's just rude to do that to a customer anyways got home and found out they hard pulled my credit!!!!!!!!! that was the very last straw I called them and asked why they hard pulled me and they said that is what they do now when you swipe the card at the store so you can get approved because there isn't a credit limit anymore I told them that is obserd what's the point of the card they said well if you buy online we don't pull it well at least they agreed to delete the hard pull!!!!!!! I will be closing the store card after I pay it off my wife's macy's amex is good enough for the dis.. just wanted to let everyone know this!!!!!!!!

That's insane! Basically their customers are getting punished, rather than rewarded, for using their card!!!! Smiley Surprised

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 8 of 10
jefftca925
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

OMG!! I thought he looked a little strange... he was on CNN yesterday (I think) and it looked like someone smashed his forehead or sprinkled his eyebrows with Rapid-Gro Smiley Very Happy

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, so now Macy's is doing hard pulls every time you make a purchase (even with 'active' accounts)?

Anyone else seen this behavior from Macy's?  I can't use this card if I'm gonna get a hard inq every time I make a purchase there.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.