cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA BLACK CARD - Has anyone heard of it?

tag
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

Re: VISA BLACK CARD - Has anyone heard of it?

The fee for the black card is to cover certain privileges that come with the card.  If you truly are a high roler, you will probably use all the services offered or at least enough of them to make the fee worth it.  $400.00 to somebody who is spending 250k a year on a card is nothing.  Somebody using it this much probably is also making heavy use of the concierge service and many complimentary items and discounts.  I have an AmEx gold and do use some of the gold card priviledges so it's worth the fee.  They offer me upgrades all the time, but I wouldn't be able to use the perks of platinum (which is $400/year i think).  If you travel a lot though, $400.00 is a small price to pay for free companion air fare and access to the lounges.  Also if you travel abroad, perks like the insurance offered are priceless.  It's all about opportunity cost.  If you are fully using the cards perks, the cost is very low and is less about status and more about utility.

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 11 of 19
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Being in the golf industry I have seen this card a few times. It is pretty cool because it is rather heavy. Big spender cards. I don't know if this is the card, but someone who had it says they can charge up to $100,000 on it for a given transaction.

If it was "heavy" I assume it was an Amex Centurian. That card is actually made of metal. This card from Barclay's is carbon graphite, that would be as light if not lighter than a plastic card.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never hard about this one.  But I just received an invitation card today.  It's came in Black Envelop with Gold Bold word of BLACK CARD on the top left corner, and my name and address was showing at the cut off window in the center of the envelop.  This envelop were stood up within the all of the junk mails I got because of the color of the envelop and it's size of 9 1/8" x 5 3/4".    Smiley Surprised

I was so impressed and proud of myself  because it said "By invitation, you have been PRE-QUALIFIED to receive the exclusive Visa Black Card. Limited to only 1% of U.S residents, .... so on so on ....    It sounds good and the card design is nice as high class card, but I am not interested in this card because of the huge amount of AF.  $495 .... it's like $500 to me and I can't through away this much of money to just be a card holder.  NO WAY!   Not for me.  All of my cards are ZERO AF.  LOL!!!

Message Edited by bunnyrabbit on 10-27-2009 02:23 PM
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Annual fees give me hives. This card is just a poor AMEX Centurion imitation.......
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check out tghe Ameriprise World elite card.....I just upgraded from world to Elite and thet waived the $150 annual fee for life and I get the perks of an AMEX PLatinum including the lounge access.... I would highly recommend this card all the perks without the fees.

Go to  ameriprise.com for further info and application

Message 15 of 19
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

IF I had to transfer a $20k balance, I might go for it, just for grins.  The 0% for 6 cycles BT offer had the 3% transaction fee capped at $50 /$5 minimum for BT's made during that first six months.

I haven't seen a cap on those fees for a while now.

$20k X 3% = $600 normally, but capped at $50, that's a $550 savings...minus $495 for the AF...I made $55, PLUS got a cool looking card!

(Just thought I'd do the math, in case anyone wants to rationalize actually getting this card).

No thanks.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Check out tghe Ameriprise World elite card.....I just upgraded from world to Elite and thet waived the $150 annual fee for life and I get the perks of an AMEX PLatinum including the lounge access.... I would highly recommend this card all the perks without the fees.

Go to  ameriprise.com for further info and application

With the Ameriprise Elite the lounge access you get is thru Priority Pass, right?  Do you know which level of PP you get with the Elite card?  The Standard level costs $27 per lounge visit (about 1/2 off, I think).

Message 17 of 19
hemi961
Regular Contributor

The Priority Pass you receive with Ameriprise is the one that would cost $399 if purchased (I think).  There is no charge to use the lounges in the system with this card.  I made my wife and daughter AUs on the card and for no additional cost they each received the Priority pass along with their Mastercards.  Pretty good deal.
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I never hard about this one.  But I just received an invitation card today.  It's came in Black Envelop with Gold Bold word of BLACK CARD on the top left corner, and my name and address was showing at the cut off window in the center of the envelop.  This envelop were stood up within the all of the junk mails I got because of the color of the envelop and it's size of 9 1/8" x 5 3/4".    Smiley Surprised

I was so impressed and proud of myself  because it said "By invitation, you have been PRE-QUALIFIED to receive the exclusive Visa Black Card. Limited to only 1% of U.S residents, .... so on so on ....    It sounds good and the card design is nice as high class card, but I am not interested in this card because of the huge amount of AF.  $495 .... it's like $500 to me and I can't through away this much of money to just be a card holder.  NO WAY!   Not for me.  All of my cards are ZERO AF.  LOL!!!

Message Edited by bunnyrabbit on 10-27-2009 02:23 PM

Got that, too.

What's to say that you don't waste an inquiry to wind up with a $495 AF card with a $300 CL? 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.