Did you mean: 

VISA Barclays "Black Card"

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: VISA Barclays "Black Card"

@GaTech wrote:

This card is for s Uckers Don't do it!

Not necessairly GaTech.  While we realize this specific product may not fit your specific needs there are others who may find it useful.  Not every product is a fit for everyone.

Message 11 of 23
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@gen-specific wrote:

So I have a white card from barclays through the Apple Store promotions

I got an offer for their black card, the faux elite card with a $400+ annual fee

It would match nice with my white barclays in my wallet, and with my blue CSP, I like the reactions these cards garner from cashiers, but thats not enough reason to get the visa black card

I've seen comparisons of this card online with other offers, and I don't get its worth

any insight appreciated

Sounds like you would want it for "looks/status"... not sure that the AF is worth it?  

yes, purely superficial reasons

The possibility of getting the fee waived and the 2 to 1 rewards points for flights seem to make it worth it.

Although CSP already gets me 2x 3x reward points on certain purchases

Message 12 of 23
jeffrey_MBP
Contributor

The card has great vegas benefits and the best travel rewards redemption, but the new lounge program is crap. I've used the concierge service twice and it wasn't too bad. I only had to wait a minute. Use this card for travel points and another card for lounge and concierge access.

Message 13 of 23
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

@jeffrey_MBP wrote:

The card has great vegas benefits and the best travel rewards redemption, but the new lounge program is crap. I've used the concierge service twice and it wasn't too bad. I only had to wait a minute. Use this card for travel points and another card for lounge and concierge access.

Tell me more about the Vegas benefits???

Now if only I could transfer points TO the barclays black card, because I currently rack them up in other places

Message 14 of 23
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

I was looking at the points I earned with my Chase Sapphire Preferred this statement and even with the 2x and 3x on dining with CSP I would have made more points with Visa Black Card, all my points are generally for subsidized flights

I don't see myself using Ultimate Rewards for shopping too much, and I'm sure Barclays has some kind of similar thing

Message 15 of 23
bribro
Valued Contributor

@gen-specific wrote:

I was looking at the points I earned with my Chase Sapphire Preferred this statement and even with the 2x and 3x on dining with CSP I would have made more points with Visa Black Card, all my points are generally for subsidized flights

I don't see myself using Ultimate Rewards for shopping too much, and I'm sure Barclays has some kind of similar thing

That's comparing apples and hand grenades though. The points earned on the Black Card are very different from Chase UR points; the latter can be transferred to travel partners and redeemed for 4+ cents each in many cases. Meanwhile, Black Card points are worth 1 cent each, or 2 cents when redeemed for travel. So, when optimized properly, that basically makes the Black Card a 2% cash back travel card... with a $495 annual fee and a mediocre lounge program. The Barclay Arrival card is much better IMO if you're looking for cash back given the lower AF and better redemption ratio.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 16 of 23
gogotexan
Regular Contributor

@bribro wrote:

@gen-specific wrote:

That's comparing apples and hand grenades though. The points earned on the Black Card are very different from Chase UR points; the latter can be transferred to travel partners and redeemed for 4+ cents each in many cases. Meanwhile, Black Card points are worth 1 cent each, or 2 cents when redeemed for travel. So, when optimized properly, that basically makes the Black Card a 2% cash back travel card... with a $495 annual fee and a mediocre lounge program. The Barclay Arrival card is much better IMO if you're looking for cash back given the lower AF and better redemption ratio.

Hmmm...this card definitely doesn't sound like it's worth a $495 fee.  I think I'll stick with my NFCU siggy...it's a black card with decent rewards and APR.  :-) 

Starting Scores 11/12/2012 EX - 590, EQ - 584, TU - 601
FICO Scores as of 02/06/2014 EX - 687, EQ - 659, TU - 697
BK 7 Discharged Oct 2010, In my wallet: NFCU VisaSiggy $26K; NFCU GoRewards $10K; NFCU Navcheck $15K; Star Furniture $5K, Conns Credit $7K, GE (Ashley Furniture) $1K, GE (Rooms to Go) $3K, Barclay Arrival MC $3K; PWFCU Visa $2.5K; Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2K; Chase Freedome $500; Cap1 Secured $500
Message 17 of 23
Haisenberg
Valued Member

That card is such a joke, not worth it in my opinion...

AMEX PRG - NPSL - Macy's AMEX - $4K - Discover IT - $1K - CapitalOne Classic Platinum - $1K

FICO Scores - EQ 711 / TU 698 / EX 715 | Goal - 750+ | Next Application(s) - BCE (01/14) - Freedom/CSP - (02/14)
Message 18 of 23
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

@bribro wrote:

@gen-specific wrote:

thanks for the perspective, I'm done with contemplating it

PASS!

Message 19 of 23
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@gen-specific wrote:

@bribro wrote:

@gen-specific wrote:

thanks for the perspective, I'm done with contemplating it

PASS!

Are you sure?  It seems *blingy* enough for the cashiers...LOL  

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.