Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value of single point in different rewards programs

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Value of single point in different rewards programs

Does anyone have a link to an analysis that compares the current valuation per point for each of the travel rewards networks (ie. MR, UR, SPG etc)? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Value of single point in different rewards programs

Depends on what you spend the points for.

For example, the new Amex EveryDay basic has 2 points for supermarkets, 1 for everything else, and no AF.

At first glance, this doesn't seem competitive with the BCP/BCE, assuming the points are worth 1 cent.

But since they're MR points, they may be worth more than 1 cent, if used in the right way.  If you assume the points are worth 2 cents, then the card becomes more interesting.

Message 2 of 8
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

For example, the new Amex EveryDay basic has 2 points for supermarkets, 1 for everything else, and no AF.

At first glance, this doesn't seem competitive with the BCP/BCE, assuming the points are worth 1 cent.

But since they're MR points, they may be worth more than 1 cent, if used in the right way.  If you assume the points are worth 2 cents, then the card becomes more interesting.

^what you said Smiley Happy

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 3 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@GaTech wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

^what you said Smiley Happy

But I think that is what the OP was asking!     People do supply estimates of "average" value, so Open123 gives 2c as the average value of an MR used for redemption in the new Amex thread.  Meaningful values are hard to find, but others have suggested partial orders, such as MR < UR < SPG, but that also varies on the exact redemption.

But if the question is more specific,  and very near term, such as: given my spending pattern is X and I want to fly business class from LA -> Melbourne in Nov, should I get BCP or the new Preferred, looking at ticket price and reward charts answers that question (assuming not too much devaluation of points or change in price).  But the calculation for your next trip after that might be different..

Message 4 of 8
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Lucky at "one mile at a time" has a good summary article, but it is part of the "boarding area" blog aggregator, so I cant seem to  paste a direct link. For reference, he values an MR point at 1.8cpp, a UR point at 1.8 to 1.9 cpp and spg at 2.2 cpp. Personally, I "value" these points at whatever airline trade value I know I can get with minimal fuss. So even though I might get a great deal exchanging ur points for hyatt and score almost 8cpp, I use the baseline value of southwest at 1.47cpp as the "minimum" value of a ur point. 

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 5 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

Lucky at "one mile at a time" has a good summary article, but it is part of the "boarding area" blog aggregator, so I cant seem to  paste a direct link. For reference, he values an MR point at 1.8cpp, a UR point at 1.8 to 1.9 cpp and spg at 2.2 cpp. Personally, I "value" these points at whatever airline trade value I know I can get with minimal fuss. So even though I might get a great deal exchanging ur points for hyatt and score almost 8cpp, I use the baseline value of southwest at 1.47cpp as the "minimum" value of a ur point. 

This is what I am asking and I saw an article on this blog, however the article I saw was not dated recently and so valuations change. Obviously the points aren't that valuable if not used in an appropriate manner. I am looking for point values if transfered to travel partners (airlines/hotels), ideally with a focus on premium class on airlines. I know sometimes the blog experts come up with their individual valuations. I am trying to convince my girlfriend to switch from the citi thank you card to something like the CSP, but I need solid numbers to explain to her how big the difference is in the valuation of points.  Was looking for maybe an up to date chart by one of the travel gurus. 

;
Message 6 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Unless she also has Premier or Prestige, there shouldn't be much dispute about whether X is better than TYP. the answer is almost always yes!   You can't even redeem TYP for cash easily at anything like 1:1, except for mortgage or student loan checks.

Message 7 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Unless she also has Premier or Prestige, there shouldn't be much dispute about whether X is better than TYP. the answer is almost always yes!   You can't even redeem TYP for cash easily at anything like 1:1, except for mortgage or student loan checks.

Yes, you would think it would be an easy sell, but I really need to make a rock solid presentation to get her to change. Sooo frustrating especially since she is in finance to start with!

;
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.