Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Established Contributor
Posts: 961
Registered: ‎12-05-2013
0

Re: Vanilla Reload Vs. MoneyPak?

The lowest risks might come down to three options:

 

1:  Do MS on a small scale.. ie.. a few hundred a month... great for meeting minimum requirements;

2:  Buy Reloads at large ticket retailers..ie.. Office Depot, Sams Club, Walmart, Target, etc..;

3:  Increase # of TLs to offset any account cancellation as a result of MS;

 

 

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,920
Registered: ‎10-24-2013
0

Re: Vanilla Reload Vs. MoneyPak?

while i do understand script there is a flaw with any script such as this...in the area i live in i could do this at meijer, wal mart, cvs, check n go, kroger, and even throntons gas station. the fact of the matter is that no matter the means to catch something someone will always find a way around it.

Super Contributor
Posts: 11,198
Registered: ‎04-22-2013
0

Re: Vanilla Reload Vs. MoneyPak?


juggalo9er wrote:

while i do understand script there is a flaw with any script such as this...in the area i live in i could do this at meijer, wal mart, cvs, check n go, kroger, and even throntons gas station. the fact of the matter is that no matter the means to catch something someone will always find a way around it.


Right, but the issuer doesn't have to catch everyone, just many of them.   But mine was just a crude example, you can do many tests:  look for those earning a lot of rewards relative to their stated income  (this will miss those that spread out their activity over many cards, but then those are not a great threat to an individual issuer), look at those using multiple times their cl etc.  

 

And finally, have a team looking at the blogs/forums to see the new tricks being proposed, and check for them!

 

Now some level of MS is just the cost of doing business, there are costs in shutting lots of people down, but you can almost certainly find those that are costing you a lot.

Citi: Forward, AA Select Plat, Double Cash, Dividend. Chase: Amazon, Freedom, CSP. Cap One: 2 x QS. Penfed 2x Plat Rewards. US Bank: Cash Plus. Barclays: Arrival, SM. Amex: BC, BCE, ED. Nasa FCU. Ebates, FIA Fidelity Amex, Discover IT Miles.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,920
Registered: ‎10-24-2013
0

Re: Vanilla Reload Vs. MoneyPak?


+longtimelurker wrote:

juggalo9er wrote:

while i do understand script there is a flaw with any script such as this...in the area i live in i could do this at meijer, wal mart, cvs, check n go, kroger, and even throntons gas station. the fact of the matter is that no matter the means to catch something someone will always find a way around it.


Right, but the issuer doesn't have to catch everyone, just many of them.   But mine was just a crude example, you can do many tests:  look for those earning a lot of rewards relative to their stated income  (this will miss those that spread out their activity over many cards, but then those are not a great threat to an individual issuer), look at those using multiple times their cl etc.  

 

And finally, have a team looking at the blogs/forums to see the new tricks being proposed, and check for them!

 

Now some level of MS is just the cost of doing business, there are costs in shutting lots of people down, but you can almost certainly find those that are costing you a lot.


+1 ....i only churn around 50 a month but you are right i can imagine people getting ...with this

Established Contributor
Posts: 868
Registered: ‎10-11-2013
0

Re: Vanilla Reload Vs. MoneyPak?


juggalo9er wrote:

+longtimelurker wrote:

juggalo9er wrote:

while i do understand script there is a flaw with any script such as this...in the area i live in i could do this at meijer, wal mart, cvs, check n go, kroger, and even throntons gas station. the fact of the matter is that no matter the means to catch something someone will always find a way around it.


Right, but the issuer doesn't have to catch everyone, just many of them.   But mine was just a crude example, you can do many tests:  look for those earning a lot of rewards relative to their stated income  (this will miss those that spread out their activity over many cards, but then those are not a great threat to an individual issuer), look at those using multiple times their cl etc.  

 

And finally, have a team looking at the blogs/forums to see the new tricks being proposed, and check for them!

 

Now some level of MS is just the cost of doing business, there are costs in shutting lots of people down, but you can almost certainly find those that are costing you a lot.


+1 ....i only churn around 50 a month but you are right i can imagine people getting ...with this


$50 per month, or $50k? I can't imagine $50 being worth your time. And $50k/mo seems like a lot.

 photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png photo SLM2SLM2.png photo HNY2HNY2.png
$15000 ...........$12500 ........... $7250 ............ $5000 ............ $5000 ............ $4500 ............ $3000
In the Garden until at least November 2015.
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,920
Registered: ‎10-24-2013
0

Re: Vanilla Reload Vs. MoneyPak?

nope only $50.00 still rebuilding my credit so do not want to push the envelope to far

Established Contributor
Posts: 868
Registered: ‎10-11-2013
0

Re: Vanilla Reload Vs. MoneyPak?


juggalo9er wrote:

nope only $50.00 still rebuilding my credit so do not want to push the envelope to far


Is that really worth your time when you factor in gas and travel time, assuming you value your time at a somewhat reasonable amount of money?

 photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png photo SLM2SLM2.png photo HNY2HNY2.png
$15000 ...........$12500 ........... $7250 ............ $5000 ............ $5000 ............ $4500 ............ $3000
In the Garden until at least November 2015.
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,920
Registered: ‎10-24-2013
0

Re: Vanilla Reload Vs. MoneyPak?

i live less than 300 yards from a cvs and a wal mart!

Established Contributor
Posts: 868
Registered: ‎10-11-2013
0

Re: Vanilla Reload Vs. MoneyPak?

[ Edited ]

juggalo9er wrote:

i live less than 300 yards from a cvs and a wal mart!




Even so, I'm assuming you're buying VRs, which have a $3.95 activation fee (I think, I've never actually bought one). And let's assume you earn 5% CashBack. Assuming you buy a $50 VR, your total would be $53.95. You'd earn (at 5%) approximately $2.70. You're paying $3.95 to earn $2.7.

 photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png photo SLM2SLM2.png photo HNY2HNY2.png
$15000 ...........$12500 ........... $7250 ............ $5000 ............ $5000 ............ $4500 ............ $3000
In the Garden until at least November 2015.
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,920
Registered: ‎10-24-2013
0

Re: Vanilla Reload Vs. MoneyPak?

card cost is 3.95 i purchase 900 @ 5% cash back net gain $41.05 i only do this when barclay has boosted points

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.