Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vanity Cards?

tag
BlueNightStar
Regular Contributor

Re: Vanity Cards?

I am probably one of the least swayed by status symbols person I know. I was totally taken back by one of my coworkers who happened by while I was going through my purse and had taken out my wallet. He noticed the Zync card immediately and asked me to pull it out so he could see it. I thought it was kind of funny because I've never inspired credit envy in anyone (that I know of). I proceeded to pull out all of my cards so he could see them which led to a lengthy conversation with someone who never really seemed that interested in anything I had to say prior to seeing my CCs . He and I now talk finances all the time and have become good friends.

Message 11 of 70
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

I was just having lunch with a group of coworkers and using my everyday card....and could care less if they were impressed or not.

I'm just making the point that in some circles, people watch which card you pay with.

If someone is trying to make an impression, the card you use will probably matter.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 12 of 70
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I get comments anytime catches a glimpse of the 5 Amex cards in my wallet, or if I pull out the PRG or Zync.  People WANT Amex - whether they can or not, or want to admit it or not.

It's "status", and people want the feeling it comes with.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 13 of 70
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@culture wrote:

@Revelate wrote:
.  I get markedly different responses when I use an Amex vs. my Freedom; it's across too many data points to be coincidence, and my dress is boringly similar in virtually all cases.  It's not a pink shirt phenomenon.

curious if you can elaborate on this....

I wind up eating out all the time so the bulk of my data points are restaurants; however, I've seen different responses both from people I'm eating with, and the restaurant staff depending on which card I use.  Amex appears to carry more weight with virtually everyone, regardless of whether I pull out my BCP or now near defunct Zync.  The Zync wins that hands down, though I was watching White Collar season 1 recently and noticed Neil had an Amex Blue something or other: it's a stylish show and I suspect they didn't pick the card at random with literally any to choose from.

When I put down an Amex, I often get a second look by the wait staff.   Similar happens with the various folks I wind up eating lunch with (my employment since everyone has strange daily schedules, often wind up going out with semi-random people... one of the few social benefits of my employment inside the workplace).  

Chase, BOFA, and any of the tradeline farming cards when they get trotted out, they're just other cards based on people's lack of reaction.

Re: pink shirt - occasionally I'll wear one, and I'm markedly more noticible by the fairer gender.  In this instance I mean I wasn't dressed any better or worse than typical, my usual bland self rather than tossing in something to purposely get me noticed.

Sadly, it's enough that if I'm having a fustruating day, I'll sometimes use the Zync instead of my 5% Freedom just looking for that little pick me up of being noticed since I blend into the background otherwise.

        
Message 14 of 70
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Bluenightstar, I'm like you. For years I only used my debit card, and, I never envied anyone else's cards.

Unfortunately, there are groups of people who look at you a certain way when you pull out certain cards.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 15 of 70
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Some do notice but I only care about the BCP's 6% cashback on groceries.

If they put "Hello Kitty" on the card, I'd still use it. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 70
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

I use my CSP if I am paying for a cute date just to see what they say sometimes they look at the card then me because they don't believe I have it. I sometimes use my Zync when I had it but now that its the gold card I haven't really used it yet. But wait staff are the ones who I find make the most comments. I work in retail so sometimes Ill swipe the card if the customer doesn't know how too. I held a black Amex once and it was really heavy. Almost felt rock like. It was a matte finish not glossy. I rarely see a Amex plat. Gold is the most common

--Minor edit, CareBear Rev

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 17 of 70
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Hello Kitty...rofl! That's my daughter's favorite character!

I will say that I do not like the look of the BCP...not feeling the clear look. But, I pull it out every time I go to grocery store and gas station!!!
Message 18 of 70
BlueNightStar
Regular Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:
Bluenightstar, I'm like you. For years I only used my debit card, and, I never envied anyone else's cards.

Unfortunately, there are groups of people who look at you a certain way when you pull out certain cards.

Yes, it's the reality. I, however, am more interested in what kind of person someone is and a CC is not really going to be a determining factor in that decision for me.

Message 19 of 70
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@BlueNightStar wrote:

@frugalQ wrote:

Yes, it's the reality. I, however, am more interested in what kind of person someone is and a CC is not really going to be a determining factor in that decision for me.

If you never notice the person in the first place...

I'm not above stupid tricks to catch someone's attention even for a fleeting moment Smiley Happy.

        
Message 20 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.