Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vanity Cards?

tag
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Re: Vanity Cards?

thom said:

"For the millions of users worldwide who DON'T frequent message boards and forums...yes, it is.  There's still that perception, as others have stated, that a 50 year old charge card that has pretty much been unchanged in all that time still says "I've arrived". "

Indeed. Let's not forget that the CC knowledge of posters on this board is far higher than the population at large. I gave my sister in law very, very basic advice (by the standards of this board) about selection of cards for cash back and she goes "Whooah!, aren't you just the credit card guru.....". Meanwhile, 15-20 mins of research and processing of info would get the reader 90% up to speed on what I was saying. 

Like with anything, people who take a mild interest in something will always have a distorted perception of things compared to those who never give it a second thought. In many cases, that mild interest gets you a "distorted perception" that is actually closer to reality but that doesn't change what the commoner on the street believes. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 51 of 70
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

thom said:

"For the millions of users worldwide who DON'T frequent message boards and forums...yes, it is.  There's still that perception, as others have stated, that a 50 year old charge card that has pretty much been unchanged in all that time still says "I've arrived". "

Indeed. Let's not forget that the CC knowledge of posters on this board is far higher than the population at large. I gave my sister in law very, very basic advice (by the standards of this board) about selection of cards for cash back and she goes "Whooah!, aren't you just the credit card guru.....". Meanwhile, 15-20 mins of research and processing of info would get the reader 90% up to speed on what I was saying. 

Like with anything, people who take a mild interest in something will always have a distorted perception of things compared to those who never give it a second thought. In many cases, that mild interest gets you a "distorted perception" that is actually closer to reality but that doesn't change what the commoner on the street believes. 

Spot on!!! I felt like a guru with the teeny bit of knowledge I gave my budy yesterday about GE/Walmart. He was blown away Smiley LOL

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 52 of 70
icloud2525
Frequent Contributor

I also feel its where you started. If you had no credit or rebuilt yours compared to someone who was added as an AU at 10 years old. If you worked hard on your own to build credit having or wanting a "vanity" card is normal. Knowing the journey and hard work I've done to build my credit, every time I pull out that gold colored Amex it makes me feel good.
Chase Sapphire Reserve $32.5K, Amex BCP $20K, Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Hilton Surpass $13,500, Amex Hilton $16,200, Discover it $16,000, Citi TYP $18,900, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $12,000, Virgin Atlantic World Elite MC $13,100, Merrill+ Visa Sig $10,000, Fidelity Visa Sig $14,000, Barclay Cash Forward $16,500, Wells Fargo Rewards $12,500, Local CU $7000, Barclay Apple Rewards $5500, Chase Freedom $5000,-- EQ FICO 768, EX FICO 777, TU FICO 781
Message 53 of 70
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@icloud Amen to that!! AMEX is my pride on this long credit journey!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 54 of 70
Stralem
Established Contributor

Great point.

I started out with godawful credit; I was young and stupid and didn't know the first thing about handling credit responsibly. I had multiple collections, late payments, and a sub-400 score. Now here I am 3 and a half years later with scores approaching the 700 mark, a couple of PRIME cards to my name, and with the exception of one last collections that's going to be paid off next paycheck, a clean report. So when I finally break into the 700s, will I be applying for an Amex? You bet I will. And will I be showing it off WHEN I get approved for it?

Hell.

Yes.

An Amex card to me will be like a message to the world saying, "Yeah, I ****ed up in the past, but look at me now. I've taken control of my financials and have proven myself to be a responsible consumer."

Of course I know this is pure vanity on my part, but you know what? I think I can live with that.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 55 of 70
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

@icloud2525 wrote:
... If you worked hard on your own to build credit having or wanting a "vanity" card is normal. Knowing the journey and hard work I've done to build my credit, every time I pull out that gold colored Amex it makes me feel good.

This is also my position. 

Although I have no interest in showing off or trying to impress anyone, my recent acquisition of the AmEx Gold Card represents a personal milestone.

I don't see any real value in carrying it around (most of my shopping is done online), but the psychological reinforcement that the card provides, is a valuable reminder of the financial discipline I have learned since recovering from the consequences of previous bad choices.

It's possible that no one else will ever see my Gold Card - but I keep it on my desk, just to keep myself reminded to 'stay the course'.

Message 56 of 70
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

The various opinions expressed in this thread are very interesting.  And I see both sides of the argument...looks matter/looks don't matter is what it boils down to.

The bottom line however is that, regardless of what one says, one DOES make a note, consciously or subconsiously, of the appearance of a particular card versus another card.  That's why the marketers at the various card issuers design the cards the way they do.  There is always a physical appeal that is part of the attraction to an inanimate object...as well as people. Credit card designers know this.  ANY sort of designer knows this.  An object that is designed for consumer consumption is more likely to be chosen if there is attractive packaging or something attractive about it, all other things considered. 

Two credit cards with exactly the same benefits, outstanding customer service, etc -- if a consumer has to choose just ONE, they are more likely to choose the physically attractive card.  I'm not saying this is right or wrong.  It just is. 

There have been myriad studies and news magazine shows (20/20, What Would You Do?, etc) about how attractiveness affects one's decisions.  I'm sure everyone has seen those studies or shows where, an attractive model and an average looking model are compared in some sort of scenario, such as a hiring situation.  Invariably, the more attractive model is chosen over the average looking model, when everything else is equal.   Again, I'm not addressing right or wrong, just pointing out that, statistically, something that is more attractive (model, credit card, automobile, spouse, or whatever), will more likely be chosen over something average looking.  That's just human nature. 

Vanity cards?  Sure, they are out there.  Besides the benefits, that's why some cards are chosen over others.  There are AMEX supporters and detractors here, and the benefits of some of their cards are less than stellar.  But they are attractive...because they are attractive.  Zync is a prime example of the so-called vanity cards.  For me (and others), it's pretty much a worthless card as far as any benefits.  BUT, I will say, without shame, that I am holding on to it simply because it is physically attractive and is a conversation piece.  Others comment on the card, and it's fun to talk about it.  Is that shallow?   Perhaps.   But, if we really look inside ourselves, we all have "shallow" moments, those "feel good" times that we enjoy...if only briefly. 

+1. I couldn't have said it better myself. Being good-looking, regardless of whether it's a person or a product (such as a credit card) has advantages.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 57 of 70
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

I worked at a larger retailer 5 years ago, when you first get started the cards amaze you, but after a couple months, it becomes boring, except when a card is declined.

a declined first premie, oh just over the limit.  declined AMEX if the person isn't wearing a suit or dressed nicely  ah must of stole the card or up to no good.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 58 of 70
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

I worked at a larger retailer 5 years ago, when you first get started the cards amaze you, but after a couple months, it becomes boring, except when a card is declined.

a declined first premie, oh just over the limit.  declined AMEX if the person isn't wearing a suit or dressed nicely  ah must of stole the card or up to no good.

I really hope you are joking.

Message 59 of 70
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

not joking worked at walmart, AMEX isn't going to decline a $50 purchase unless the person has major issues, or the card has been reported stolen were not talking about $300 purses or anything like that. I remember seeing very few declined AMEX charges over the 5 years I was a cashier. Did see a few visa and mastercard denials where the cashier or customer service manager was requested to keep the card.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 60 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.