Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable Apr, vs Regular Cards?

tag
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Variable Apr, vs Regular Cards?

What are the benifits, what are the cons? 

discover offered 0% for first 15 months then 9.99 variable which is prime + 6.25% and citi offered 0% for first 15 months, then 13.99%apr variable. 

my current lowest card is at 12.99% non variable. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Variable Apr, vs Regular Cards?

What exactly does non-variable mean?   That it doesn't adjust with an index, but can the issuer adjust the rate from time to time?  I would assume so, since this is for an indefinite period and unsecured, and it would be strange to have  a fixed interest rate for ever.

If it really is fully fixed, then I guess the trade off is similar to that with mortgages.  With adjustable rates, you are sharing some of the risk, so initial rates can be lower.  With fixed, you have a guaranteed APR so there will be no surprises if interest rates soar.

Message 2 of 3
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Variable Apr, vs Regular Cards?

Yes to longtimelurker's second paragraph.

Fixed means interest rate can never go up unless you fail to make payments. Variable means the interest rate will change as the index to which the card is attached changes. Keep in mind that we are in the lowest interest rate period in over a decade, so fixed is considerably less risky in this environment for the consumer.

However, the easiest fix is to never carry a balance. Never pay interest on a credit card, you can always find a lower interest rate somewhere else.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.