Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Various

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Various

1. Amex grant clis more often if you keep your income and net worth info up to date on their website.
2. Its not logical for cards offering 0% interest to give a high credit limit
3. Chase are stingy with clis.
4. Cap One will give auto clis quickly if you charge close to limit.
5. The points and rewards offered by many cards are extremely complicated (unnecessarily so)
6. Dinging score for numerous inquiries is a flawed methodology as it is predicated on the assumption that a person is "seeking more credit and that's a bad thing" That's not necessarily true.
7. Card companies should give more precise indications of likely CL prior to a HP rather than the current system which often seems extremely random.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Various

1. Disagree. I don't.
2. Disagree. Not everyone spends same amounts.
3. Disagree. File age & thickness, and usage affect it.
4. Any creditor can potentially do this.
5. Ok? Not everyone gets it?
6. Thin file, and "too much too fast" is the common issue
7. When they're offering, they typically do (SP or HP). When you're seeking it, then it's a hit, and you're under the microscope(HP usually). System isn't about us benefiting from it. We're the commodity.

Message 2 of 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
1. Amex grant clis more often if you keep your income and net worth info up to date on their website.
5. The points and rewards offered by many cards are extremely complicated (unnecessarily so)
6. Dinging score for numerous inquiries is a flawed methodology as it is predicated on the assumption that a person is "seeking more credit and that's a bad thing" That's not necessarily true.
7. Card companies should give more precise indications of likely CL prior to a HP rather than the current system which often seems extremely random.

Welcome to myFICO!  wavey_zps81xnuobx.gif

Discussion and data points are both encouraged and appreciated here, but you'll get more appropriate responses if you have a topic that is more focused and a title that accurately describes what you want to discuss.  As busy as the various forums are on this site, with a vague title many members will likely overlook your thread completely.

While of course you're free to title your thread anything you want (within the ToS) it's generally encouraged to use a title that will let the other members know what your thread is regarding.  Each of your data points are completely valid discussions... you might consider taking them one at a time in separate threads to encourage participation with the other members here.  Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

1. did not know this, but makes total sense, good info.

2. its not logical for creditors or for consumers?  that is why I am a firm believer in paying in full for the majority of accounts, and never open a card just for a balance transfer. Many cards allow generous increases and have recurrent BT offers post promo period, allowing for a debt shuffle, where you move the balance on the card charging interest, yet has 0% for 12-18 months, to a card with no bt fee, regardless of what its APR is, and then BT it back to the original card.  Can be dangerous for some but is great for those who do it responsibly.

3. Yes they are, that is why many suggest opening a new account since they make reallocating CL so easy.

4. Sometimes this happens but not always.

5. Capital one is the easiest, hence "no hassle rewards". Check out themanwhocan's cash back charts if you need to find a better card aligned more with your natural monthly spend in respective categories.

Couldn't agree more with most of these, esp 6 and 7.  

6.  Used to really bother me but now I am at a point where inquiries don't seem to matter as much. I still think its a sham that capital one doesn't work more like the others where by default they pull 1 bureau, and if they somehow feel the need, pull a 2nd. Especially based on a persons credit scores. I think that capital one is very reliable you will find many members in times of financial crisis cap1 was the only one that stood by them through thick and thin.  But I have even read comments on forums either by cap1 rep or someone who knows one, that the folks who have multiple capital one cards are where they earn the most money (and is directly tied to #4)

7.  that kind of requires a little research and experimentation.  Its not that difficult to figure out which banks give out heftier HP CLIs.  Aside from credit unions, the first that come to my mind are Bank of America, Citibank, and penfed or nfcu.

Message 4 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As far as I know, there aren't that many assumptions built in to the FICO model, it is built on historical data, which shows that "enough" of the time, numerous inquiries are indeed associated with credit seeking, which in turn is correlated to an increased risk of default.    So the algorithm "punishes" for this type of behavior.

And of course it is not right in every case, with both false positives (maybe a person doing a one time mini spree to get set for life) and false negatives (someone charges up their two credit cards to the max and defaults, without any new inquiries) but it just has to be good enough to catch many of the bad cases and not lose too many of the potentially high-profit customers.

Just as there are many issuers for us to choose from, issuers can always replace customers, and it's rare that one would be so profitable that losing them is a terrible mistake.

Re 7:  I don't know why they don't just make all CLI requests HPs (credit seeking).   Maybe there is an extra cost.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.