Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Venture 1% cash back?

tag
black_citi
Established Contributor

Venture 1% cash back?

Once I hit that 3k spend bonus I'll get 40000 miles which is equal to $400 in travel. That's 1% back (well its actually a bit more since I get so many points just for spending 3k but still).

My QS Visa offers 1.5%. I'm not so sure if the Venture is a good deal after my 3k bonus is up. I'm a bit confused on this.
Make More, Spend Less
Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Venture 1% cash back?

That is correct it only gives half value or 1 percent for statement credits etc that arent travel. No, its not a good deal especially for a fee which is why the popularity will forever puzzle me. Its a mediocre card with high limits. Still doesnt make it useful

Even the much talked about bonus....I mean, 400 is decent but what if you have no travel coming up? 200 bucks for 3000 spend is not a good return at all. I think people need to think harder before getting this card (and the people who want 2 or 3 mystify me even further)

Message 2 of 45
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

With any rewards card you have to run the numbers.  If you spend $3k and get $400 that's not 1%.

Message 3 of 45
black_citi
Established Contributor

Thanks guys. I never really thought about this before. I guess with so much hype about the approvals with high starting limits I must've got carried away myself. I am glad I got approved with my 10k limit but in 6 months I'll just transfer my limit over to the QS. Now I think I understand why people say the CSP is a better travel card.
Make More, Spend Less
Message 4 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

With any rewards card you have to run the numbers.  If you spend $3k and get $400 that's not 1%.

Also, OP seems to be confusing redemption and earning rate.   With a QuickSilver, if you spend $100, you get $1.50 in rewards.   If you spend $100 with Venture, you get 200 points, which is worth $2 when redeemed for rewards, i.e. 2%

Message 5 of 45
black_citi
Established Contributor

So Venture is a 2% card basically? I got an email from cap1 today stating if I spend 1k a month, thats 24000 miles. They said knock off 2 zeros and thats $240 a year. That's 1% isn't it? My math is terrible.
Make More, Spend Less
Message 6 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@black_citi wrote:
So Venture is a 2% card basically? I got an email from cap1 today stating if I spend 1k a month, thats 24000 miles. They said knock off 2 zeros and thats $240 a year. That's 1% isn't it? My math is terrible.

As is common, each point is one cent, but that has little to do with the value of the card.   If you spend $1K a month, you spend $12K a year, and earn $240 (for travel), which is 2%

THink of any card you thing of as real, e.g. QuickSilver.   Each point there is also worh 1c, but you get 1.5 of them per $ spend, here you get 2 points per $.

Message 7 of 45
black_citi
Established Contributor

Wait I think I understand. KDM said its gives half value for cash back. But cap1 does say their 40k spend bonus is equal to $400 in travel. Not cash back. Unless I'm missing something....
Make More, Spend Less
Message 8 of 45
black_citi
Established Contributor

I see. I was looking at the miles I earn not the actual spend. Yes, 240 is 2% of 12000. 120 plus 120 since I must knock off 2 zeros.
Make More, Spend Less
Message 9 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

KDM HATES the venture!    His point is that if you redeem for anything but travel (and gift cards) you get 0.5 c per point, making it a 1% with an annual fee.   So clearly not worth using like that.  Always redeem against travel and you get the full 2%

(Not that KDM is wrong about Venture.  Unless you have significant foreign transactions, after the bonus a 2% card like Citi Double Cash is better)

Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.