Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Venture 1% cash back?

tag
black_citi
Established Contributor

Re: Venture 1% cash back?

@redpat wrote:

OP, Venture is really a 2% cash back card that will reimburse travel charges such as hotels, airfare and car rentals.  If you don't travel this card may not be for you.

I know there are many Venture haters but I travel extensively and I don't want to have a lot of credit cards this card gives me the rewards I want w/ no FTF.  I didn't want to use QS because my spend w/ 2% rewards and sign-up bonus is better than 1.5% even with the $59 AF.

So when I travel abroad I use my CSP for 2x meals and Venture for my other purchases for 2%. 

I like the flexiblity Venture gives and their rewards and payment postings are better than Citi DC which can be a PIA and include FTF of 3%.

I do want to travel a lot but right now I don't have the finances but I was originally under the impression that the Venture ALWAYS gives 2% back regardless of how you spend your rewards. That's one of the reasons I app'd. It wasn't until yesterday that I began to do some math and things weren't adding up correctly. I got highly confused lol. But they do reimburse you for hotels and rentals. Hmmmm..... I don't know what to do now.

Make More, Spend Less
Message 21 of 45
redpat
Senior Contributor

@black_citi wrote:
NOW I SEE LOL!!! After the bonus that venture will be trash lolol. I see why KDM hates the Venture. I think I'm starting to dislike the Venture too lol. With the DC you earn 2% regardless. With the QS you earn 1.5% regardless. With the Venture you earn 2% ONLY on travel and gift cards. 1% on everything else AND it has an annual fee!

In 6 months the 10k limit will be transfered to my QS lol. I should have read up on this a bit more before I app'd. You live and learn. Thanks guys for your input and straightening this out for me.

No, you just don't travel abroad to domestic.  

KMD hates AF cards, doesn't travels much and this is why he hates Venture.  

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 22 of 45
redpat
Senior Contributor

@black_citi wrote:

@redpat wrote:

OP, Venture is really a 2% cash back card that will reimburse travel charges such as hotels, airfare and car rentals.  If you don't travel this card may not be for you.

I know there are many Venture haters but I travel extensively and I don't want to have a lot of credit cards this card gives me the rewards I want w/ no FTF.  I didn't want to use QS because my spend w/ 2% rewards and sign-up bonus is better than 1.5% even with the $59 AF.

So when I travel abroad I use my CSP for 2x meals and Venture for my other purchases for 2%. 

I like the flexiblity Venture gives and their rewards and payment postings are better than Citi DC which can be a PIA and include FTF of 3%.

I do want to travel a lot but right now I don't have the finances but I was originally under the impression that the Venture ALWAYS gives 2% back regardless of how you spend your rewards. That's one of the reasons I app'd. It wasn't until yesterday that I began to do some math and things weren't adding up correctly. I got highly confused lol. But they do reimburse you for hotels and rentals. Hmmmm..... I don't know what to do now.

@black_citi wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@black_citi wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 23 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another Example:

I previously purchased 4 airline tickets to Hawaii, $453 per ticket.

When i received my 40,000 points + 6000 points for spending the $3k, i did a purchase eraser and used 45,300 points to erase one plane ticket ($453).

If i had requested cash back, i would have received only $230.

Now, gift cards are 2,500 points for a $25 gift card or 5,000 points for a $50 gift card.  So 46,000 points divided by 2500 = $460 worth of gift cards.  This is another route you can take as Cap1 has a good selection of gift cards...or you can always do a charitable donation lol.

So like other say, if you dont travel much, not worth it.  You'll be better off with QS cash back or CSP.

Message 24 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@black_citi wrote:
Once I hit that 3k spend bonus I'll get 40000 miles which is equal to $400 in travel. That's 1% back

There's no correlation between the 40,000 miles and 1% back.

You can think about it in this sense, you spend $3,000 and get $400 cashback.

The Venture is a 2% cashback restricted to travel redemption + $400.  The only comparable card would be an Arrival+.

The Quicksilver is only 1.5%.  So let's do some quick math for the first year:

Spend $10,000

Venture = $400 + $200 = $600

Citi DoubleCash 2% = $200

QuickSilver 1.5% = $150

The Venture in the first year beats the pants off almost every cashback card out there in the first year as long as you have travel expenses to redeem.

After the first year, if you're a frequent traveler, the 2% back is decent but you'd have to travel pretty frequently to offset that $60 AF. 

Venture first year bonus is great + the high starting limit.  2nd year, PC it to the Quicksilver unless yuo travel ALOT

I got 3 Ventures so I will be getting $1,200 free cashback this year.  

Next year I will consolidate my 3 Ventures into one $60K Quicksilver.

3 Ventures --> $1200 free --> $60K Quicksilver... that's just win-win-win in my book Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 45
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I dont "hate" AF cards. I hate cards with fees that make no sense. There is no reason to pay a fee for a restricted 2 percent card. If you want to, have at it. But its pure marketing nonsense, and nothing else.

If one doesnt travel enough to justify a Venture they certainly cannot justify a CSP.

And OP yes it reimburses travel at 2 percent but my Double Cash reimburses EVERYTHING at 2 percent with no fee. So whats really the better deal? Other than no FTF I have yet to see one good argument for Venture. "But you get full value for gift cards" doesnt count because you can get that elsewhere for free.

Im not against AF but paying an AF for Venture is just not worth it. You get no extra travel benefit.
Message 26 of 45
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

This is why I am not rushing to meet the spend bonus on this card.. GC's to much of a pain in the arse for me to deal with.. I went with the card simply for the big CL and will wrap it into the QS after 6 months and purge it.. 3k spend for 200 in cash or 400 in travel or gc's isn't worth it for me personally as I have better things to use the money on.  The CL on the other hand was worth it for me personally.  The QS 100$ bonus for $500 spend + 1.5% back was a no-brainer and took no time to meet while working on other cards

Message 27 of 45
redpat
Senior Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
I dont "hate" AF cards. I hate cards with fees that make no sense. There is no reason to pay a fee for a restricted 2 percent card. If you want to, have at it. But its pure marketing nonsense, and nothing else.

If one doesnt travel enough to justify a Venture they certainly cannot justify a CSP.

And OP yes it reimburses travel at 2 percent but my Double Cash reimburses EVERYTHING at 2 percent with no fee. So whats really the better deal? Other than no FTF I have yet to see one good argument for Venture. "But you get full value for gift cards" doesnt count because you can get that elsewhere for free.

Im not against AF but paying an AF for Venture is just not worth it. You get no extra travel benefit.

It's all about FTF. 

But DC clearing purchases and payment holds are a PIA you have to admit.  I'd rather pay the $59 bucks than deal with that process....lol.

Message 28 of 45
black_citi
Established Contributor

I'll wait and see what happens in 6 months. I might keep it or I might consolidate.
Make More, Spend Less
Message 29 of 45
securingourfuture
Established Contributor

I got mine for my first high limit, miles bonus, and 0% apr. By the time the intro apr is over, my BK7 and inquiries will age off and I can get the CSP.  Smiley Happy

8/22/18: BK7 filed EXP 490 TU 430 EQ 429
11/28/18: BK7 discharged EXP 586 TU 578 EQ 527
06/08/21: EXP 656 TU 643 EQ 701
Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.